Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The official RECIPE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: The official RECIPE thread.

ORIGINAL: kelly

what about the margarita chicken....i made it and loved it.
it gets five stars, too.

nice job on listing them all.

maybe we should have an AF cookbook, have it published, proceeds go to giving each member one of turbo i3udda's stickers!!!

I came up with this really quick with GIMP. I would buy one for sure. There are a ton of great recipe's in this thread.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

bump for thoughts on ^^^^, cover spawned from Kelly's idea for the cookbook. Thanks Kelly,

Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 AM
4th Gear

This is a great flourless chocolate cake and it is easy to make. Use a good chocolate because there aren’t a lot of ingredients here. I like Valrhona. You can go with either the 56% or the 65% for more chocolate intensity. The surface of the cake has little craters in it, thus the name.

Chocolate Orbit Cake

½ pound butter
12oz bittersweet chocolate
6 eggs
1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9x2 round cake pan and line the inside with parchment paper.

Set a large bowl over a pan of simmering water to create a double boiler. Cut the butter and chocolate into pieces and put them in the bowl to melt. Whisking occasionally.

Whisk together the eggs and sugar in another bowl. Thoroughly whisk in the melted chocolate. (Use the tempering method so that you don’t scramble your eggs)

Pour the batter into the cake pan. Place in a larger baking pan and pour hot water into that pan until it reaches half-way up the sides of the cake pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1hr 15min, until the cake appears to have set and when you touch the center your finger comes away clean.

Remove the cake from the water bath and cool completely. It should turn out of the cake pan fairly easily after some cooling. You want to preserve the cool cratered look of the top so turn it out and then back over again quickly.

This cake will make it in the fridge for several days, so you can make it ahead of time.

Optional Crème Anglaise

Ok, the above cake is great on its own, but I’m a sucker for punishment and like the contrast of big chocolate against vanilla. This step requires more skill/patience/attentiveness than the cake. You can add expresso or Cognac to this after it has cooled and before you serve it if you want to for a little more kick.

½ vanilla bean split
2 cups milk
6 tablespoons of sugar
Pinch of salt
6 egg yolks

Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the milk in a heavy saucepan. Add the vanilla bean pod, sugar, and salt and heat until the milk is warm but not simmering. Meanwhile, prepare and ice bath – a bowl partially filled with ice, with another bowl nested inside it.

Lightly whisk together the egg yolks in a separate bowl, then gradually add some of the warmed milk, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

Cook over low to moderate heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, always scraping the bottom, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.

Immediately strain the cooked custard through a fine sieve into the bowl set in the ice. Stir the crème anglaise with a clean spatula to cool it down. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. It will keep for up to 3 days.

If you don’t get laid after serving this, it’s only because you fed the person too much(or you are butt ugly) and they can’t stand the idea of a person smushing them. So keep your eyes on the prize – play it safe and serve small pieces!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

so lets see how fast everybodys going to jump on the recipe bandwagon just to get in the AF cookbook.

i have a great recipe for lobster bisque. you can also use it as a sauce over pasta if your adjust it a bit.
i'll post it soon.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:49 AM
dan
2nd Gear

It's hard to think of recipes I've been out of the commercial kitches for like 8-9 years now, most of the time it's more cooking by feel heh. Bit of this, that much of the other etc.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

dan...........so that means you're not going to TRY to convert "this" and "that" into recipies that we can use in our cookbook?

you realize, you'll NEVER become famous if you don't have a recipe in our book

Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 AM
dan
2nd Gear

hahah my chocolate teardrops earlier in the thread was already written up in the paper and won an award (best seasonal presentation or something) in Australia a few years ago.

I'll see what else i can come up with.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear

Great Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Very soft!!!

1 1/2 C. White Sugar
3/4 C. Brown Sugar
1 1/2 C. Crisco
3 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
3 C. Flour
1 pkg. *Good* Chocolate Chips

Cream the eggs, crisco, vanilla, and sugars together. Mix or sift the remaining dry ingredients in a seperate bowl and then add the creamed ingredients. Then add the chocolate chips after ingredients are almost completely mixed.

Preheat the oven to 375. Place cookies on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. If you want the cookies to be "perfect" cook them for only 8 minutes, they WILL be delicious.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Administrator

i will update the list in a few.. had a few too many too drink tonight.. but here is a great recipe.. But first let me ask a questions

Chef: what would you use to get flour to stick to chicken???

I have tried using buttermilk it works pretty well, and i also tried using just eggs, they work pretty well too.. just wanted to see if there was anything else that works better..

Buffalo Thumbs

Take some boneless chicken breasts and chope them up into cubes..
Drop the cubes of chicken into a bowl of buttermilk
Remove said cubes from buttermilk and cover them with flower (the flour should stick since you just removed it from the buttermilk)

Drop these ****'s in the deepfryer..

Cook.....

Remove from deepfryer..

Place in a bowl with some franks hot sauce (or hot sauce of your liking) and cover bowl and shake vigurously..

Remove from bowl..

Eat..

and as your bottle of conditioner always says..
"Rinse, and repeat"

Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 AM
5th Gear

me + tequila= recipe for disaster. thats bout all the recipes i know

Quick Reply: The official RECIPE thread.