Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The official RECIPE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 AM
rmh
1st Gear
Default RE: The official RECIPE thread.

Hey chef -

Your pictures are just mouth-watering. Keep up the great work!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Thanks! I'm actually making some seriously good bread now with bigger holes and a better texture. Seems like I learn something new daily. I was taught all of the techniques in culinary school, but it's fun making tweaks in the staging of the dough and seeing the cooresponding results. It's also about how long you have to tend to your dough. I make a compromises on weekdays, and try several different things on the weekend. It's actually good therapy for me kneading the dough everyday.

Cheers!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 AM
rmh
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Thanks! I'm actually making some seriously good bread now with bigger holes and a better texture. Seems like I learn something new daily. I was taught all of the techniques in culinary school, but it's fun making tweaks in the staging of the dough and seeing the cooresponding results. It's also about how long you have to tend to your dough. I make a compromises on weekdays, and try several different things on the weekend. It's actually good therapy for me kneading the dough everyday.
Cheers!
Good therapy == hand-made bread + tended sourdough + good friends + good kitchen skills.

Chef - it sounds like you've got an enchanted life :-)

I've found that even after 3 decades of making bread by hand (from scratch), I continue to learn more and perfect my results with each batch....

Even a 'bad' batch is really really good these days....

...enjoy!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
rmh
1st Gear

Last night was a "make your own pizza" night.

I made up a couple of pounds of sourdough pizza crust (thanks chef for the inspiration) so the family could make their own pizzas.

Turned out great. My 16 yo son made cheese pizza (how boring, but it was really good). I made onion + green olive + elk burger.

Slid the pizzas onto a stone in the oven at "one iota less than clean", or about 475 degrees, so the crust turned out crisp and wonderful.

My next "pizza stone" will be a 1/4" slab of iron nearly the dimension of the oven rack, so I can more easily re-create a true pizza oven cooking surface.

cheers!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i made pasta for 2 different lasagnas. one was a very nice bolonese sauce, the other a white sauce and i layered with fresh spinach anda variety of oven roasted mushrooms. there are a few things i'd do differently to tweekthem both, but overall, they came out superb! i love making anything with fresh pasta.
one question: i made one with precooking the noodles before layering, the other, i did not. do you think that makes any difference in the final product as long as there is enough juice in the uncooked recipe to soak into the noodle? it was hard for me totell since they were two different lasagnas.
Name:  paris2008235Small-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  15.3 KBName:  paris2008238Small.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  15.2 KB
Name:  paris2008240Small.jpg
Size:  15.0 KB
Name:  paris2008241Small.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  15.7 KBName:  paris2008242Small.jpg
Size:  12.6 KB
Name:  paris2008236Small.jpg
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about pre-cooking the pasta if it's fresh and going into a casserole.

Looks good.

Cheers!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
6th Gear

ah man I can't wait to have a kitchen again. I mean my dorm has one but it is not used that much.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Okay, I'm going to post a couple family favorite sourdough recipes and pictures. It may seem labor instensive to some, but it is more about just taking the time to make good bread. Enjoy!

White Wheat Sourdough
Yield 2 – 1kg Bannetons

1c. Starter
3c. Water
2c. White Wheat Flour
2c. Bread Flour
1c. All-Purpose Flour

***long sponge***

4c. Bread Flour
1T. Sea Salt

I always feed one cup of starter with one cup water and one cup all purpose flour the evening prior to making bread and leave at room temperature. In a non-metal bowl with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, combine first ingredients together. Mix well until it is smooth and slightly elastic. Cover bowl and let sit at room temperature until bubbly and doubled, or refrigerate. It will take anywhere from 2½ hours to 6 hours, depending on your room temperature. Don’t exceed 85 degrees at any point or you’ll jeopardize your yeast growth, and destroy the bread. It usually takes about 4 hours for me to double at 72 degrees. If you refrigerated your dough overnight, just leave at room temperature for an hour prior to the next step.

After the dough has doubled, add the remaining flour and sea salt. I usually blend it in with a wooden spoon until I can’t get any more flour absorbed, then I let the dough rest for 10-20 minutes for the flour to hydrate. I then knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes and may use just a very little bit to adjust if too sticky. Usually I try to work with as sticky dough as possible, but you will want it to get somewhat silky, and that is when I know that it is perfect. I let it rest for about 10 minutes, then knead it for another 3 minutes or so, until it has gathered tightly and passes the windowpane test. I believe it is very important at this point to stretch and round the dough and seal the bottom well. Spray a non-metal container with olive oil and place the dough seam side up in the bowl, and then spray the top of the dough and cover. Let the dough double in size at room temperature, which again is 2½ to 6 hours, or refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. I use stones to bake bread on directly, but you could use a sheet pan, loaf pans, or French bread pans. Remove dough from refrigerator and let rest at room temperature until it has doubled in size, or for 1 hour if doubled in the refrigerator. Carefully remove the dough from the bowl onto a work surface without deflating it too much. I usually just cut it in half and carefully round the dough and place seam side up in my floured bannetons. Spray the top of the dough with olive oil and wrap in plastic if refrigerating, or cover with towel. Let rise until doubled. If refrigerated, pull it out and leave at room temperature until doubled.

On flat surface big enough to hold the loaf of bread, like the back of a sheet pan, sprinkle corn meal or polenta on the surface where the dough will go. Carefully slide the dough onto the stone and dump 1/3 cup of warm water on the floor of the oven and shut the door. One minute later, repeat dumping 1/3 cup of warm water on the floor of the oven. Bake at 450 degrees for about 22-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200 degrees. Remove from oven and let rest a minimum of 40 minutes, but preferably 2 hours prior to slicing. The dough will become more sour as it cools and rests. If you slice the bread too soon, it will always seem a little doughy.

The long process breaks down the flour and helps to release all of the flavors of the grain while developing the acids in the sourdough for a much stronger taste. Refrigerating dough in between steps will help to strengthen the sour flavor. I suggest refrigerating in between at least one of the doubling stages. Please refer to the techniques and doubling times listed above as it will be common in all of my bread recipes listed here. Tip: If you let your dough sit at room temperature for an hour or two after kneading, then refrigerate overnight, it will be doubled and very easy to work for final shaping without deflating too much.

Cherry Walnut White Wheat Sourdough
Yield 2 – 1kg Bannetons

1c. Starter
3c. Water
4c. Bread Flour

***Rest Period***

1/4c. Hazelnut Oil
1/2c. Maple Syrup
1/4c. Drambuie
2c. White Wheat Flour
1c. Bread Flour

***Long Sponge***

3c. Bread Flour
1T. Sea Salt

1 1/2c. Cranberries, Dried
2c. Walnuts, Large Chop

With non-metal bowl and spoon, mix activated starter and water, then blend in flour until smooth. Let rest for about 2 hours, up to 4 hours. Add oil, syrup, Drambuie, white wheat, and bread flours. Blend until smooth and elastic, cover and let rest until doubled, or refrigerate. The next stage is kneading the dough, so add the remaining flour and sea salt and work for about 10-12 minutes, and then let rest for 10 minutes. Fold in the nuts and berries, and work for another 2-3 minutes, or until well incorporated. Spray non-metal container and let dough double, or refrigerate. When doubled, remove carefully and cut & round the dough and place in/on final proof vessel. For baking a 1kg Banneton on stone; bake at 450 degrees for first 15 minutes, then reduce to 350 degrees and cook an additional 15 minutes. I prefer to steam during the first couple minutes for a more chewy crust. Let bread cool well before slicing.

Picture of both kinds of breads in various molds and forms. The bannetons are the cranberry bread, the others are all sourdough.

Name:  IMG_2435.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  175.0 KB

This is how the sourdough long sponge looks at the end of the rise, prior to adding flour, salt, and kneading.

Name:  IMG_2431.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  105.2 KB

These area few baguettes that I made prior to the final proof.

Name:  IMG_2433.jpg
Size:  128.9 KB

Cheers!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i guess it's a battle between the pasta and the breads!!
i made this today and it was great! i combined ingredients of 2 recipes. added a little this and a little that.

Seafood Ravioli
Filling:
1T butter
1/2T olive oil
2T each of: celery, carrots & onion, chopped fine
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1T each of: red pepper & green pepper
¼ cup mushroom, any variety, chopped fine
1 lobster tail, chopped fine
6 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, chopped fine
¼ cup imitation crab meat, chopped fine
1 oz brandy
1/8 cup cream cheese
1/8 cup mascarpone cheese
½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
to taste salt and pepper

1/2T fresh thyme, chopped fine
2T fresh parsley, chopped fine

Melt the butter and olive oil. Add the vegetables, garlic and mushroom. Cook until liquid has evaporated. Add the brandy and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add the uncooked seafood and cook until done.
Remove from heat and add the cream cheese, mascarpone cheese and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool or refrigerate while making pasta dough.

Using freshly made pasta sheets, cut into squares and spoon filling. Use egg wash to seal edges if necessary.

Sauce:
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup seafood stock
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup imitation crab meat, coarsely chopped
to taste salt and pepper
½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped fine
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped fine

Melt the butter, add garlic and cook, then add the flour and stir to make a nice roux.
Add the liquids and stir till thick, adding more of one or all until it is the desired thickness. Then, add seafood, cheese, tarragon and parsley until heated through.

NOTE: Most of these measurements were just eyeballed. Adjust as necessary.
Name:  ravioli001WinCE.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  11.1 KB
Name:  ravioli004WinCE.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  10.5 KB

Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

I was a 92G (foodservice) before I came to flight school. Never did our own bread, but I'm a huge baguette fan. Can anybody give me a good dough recipe? Chef, why does my tomato cream sauce keep breaking? I have a feeling I'm cooking it too hot or my proportion of tomatoes/ heavy cream is off a little.

Quick Reply: The official RECIPE thread.