Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The official RECIPE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Default RE: The official RECIPE thread.

This morning:

Whole Wheat Sourdough English Muffins

Name:  IMG_2418.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  208.4 KB

Sourdough Dried Fruit & Nut Wheat Loaf

Name:  IMG_2419.jpg
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2415.jpg
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2417.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  131.0 KB

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

man, that looks like something a professional would do!!

Old 03-23-2008, 02:18 PM
5th Gear

Those English Muffins look amazing. Name:  homer_sabber.gif
Views: 26
Size:  618 Bytes

Old 03-23-2008, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

JEEBUS, SAVE ME!

Chef, great work! Those english muffins look mighty tasty to a Soldier in Iraq!!! My job, prior to deployment, was running a salad and fruit bar along with catering for a national insurance agency's regional facility. I did help the head cook when I could, but it wasn't anything too serious. Nothing like that bread! Mmm!

A unit from NM left recently and one of the guys in our office left ingredients for chili beans. I'm thinking of dragging out the crock pot tomorrow!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Yeah, hook up some chili beans! Good food always makes life seem a little bit better. I just cut into that fruit and nut loaf a few minutes ago and it is the bomb! I just add a light slathering of honey butter and the flavor is amazing!

Good luck to you in the desert. My wife is retiring from the AF with 20years in June. The worst part is the separation from family, but the time did fly by pretty fast.

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:38 PM
rmh
1st Gear

Chef -

Glad you're so enjoying the sourdough starter(s) that I sent.

I've also re-focused my attention on making sourdough loaves, baguettes, and pancakes from the same culture I sent you. I do have to throw some pizza crusts based on your great results - maybe topped with some moose (or elk) burger to geographically fit the culture's heritage...

I have been making 10-12 pounds of sourdough goodies every 2-3 weeks since this culture is so active. I've got friends coming out of the woodwork asking for (more) samples of this bread.

One dinner last week consisted of fresh from the oven (warm) sourdough bread with extra virgin olive oil for dipping, some thin sliced sausages, various cheeses, hummus, a vegetable platter, various kinds of olives, freshly grated Parmesan, and a wonderful Nebbiolo wine.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM

That sounds really good! I'm looking forward to making baguettes too, but I don't own the correct pans at the moment, although, I have an oven full of stone so the rounds and artisan loaves are coming out very nice. I've just taken it though all different kinds of styles and techniques. It looks like the long sponge technique works the best for me and it gives great results. I have another couple loaves in the fridge ready to bake off tonight. Can't wait!

Cheers!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

ORIGINAL: rmh

I have been making 10-12 pounds of sourdough goodies every 2-3 weeks since this culture is so active. I've got friends coming out of the woodwork asking for (more) samples of this bread.

One dinner last week consisted of fresh from the oven (warm) sourdough bread with extra virgin olive oil for dipping, some thin sliced sausages, various cheeses, hummus, a vegetable platter, various kinds of olives, freshly grated Parmesan, and a wonderful Nebbiolo wine.

but of course. i think bread is the hardest thing to master since so many different factors come into play. like anything else, i guess if you do it enough times, you learn the little tricks for success.

i'd be up for a dinner like that!! often times at good restaurants, i eat too much of the bread before the dinner even comes to the table. i just got back from france and they really know how to make bread! i was in heaven. keep up the good work. i think i can smell that bread from here!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:02 PM
rmh
1st Gear

s4sweetee -

I don't know where you hang your hat, but my wife and I are in the twin cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul), so, *if* you and your significant other are close enough *and* you would like to join us sometime for a dinner like that, PM me and let's work something out.

rmh

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Nice verbage. LOL

Cheers!

Quick Reply: The official RECIPE thread.