Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The official RECIPE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
rmh
1st Gear
Default RE: The official RECIPE thread.

Seven Seas Burrito

This is one of those recipes, I just eyeball and make to taste, so quantities of ingredients can vary

Equal amounts of these sea foods (1/4 or 1/2 pound of each)
Fresh Jumbo Sea Scallops (3/4" size)
Tender Lean fillet of Mahi Mahi with large flakes
Jumbo Shrimp (16-20 count size)

Rio Mexican Garlic Sause (minced garlic, ground cumin, cayenne)
Slivered Green and Red Bell Pepper
Shallots

Dirty Rice with some whole peas added

Chipotle Cream Sauce:
6 oz Philadelphia cream cheese with chipotle seasoning (to taste)
Sour Cream to lower the viscosity of the sauce to proper consistency

Mild Jalepeno Cream Sauce:
6 oz Philadelphia cream cheese with fresh diced, de-seeded jalepenos (to taste)
Sour Cream to lower the viscosity of the sauce to proper consistency

Quickly saute sea food with healthy splash of Chardonnay, Rio Mexican Garlic Sauce, peppers and shallots
Do not overcook

Mix seafood mixture with dirty rice mixture
Wrap in jumbo flour tortillas
Top with mixture of 1/2 & 1/2 Jalepeno cream sauce and Chipotle cream sauce

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
rmh
1st Gear
Default Sourdough Starters

Any other sourdough starter collectors out there?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Default RE: Sourdough Starters

Anyone have any opinions on breadmachines vs. old school techniques?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
6th Gear

^^no I don't, I've never made my own bread, but I would like to say I love this thread because it has helped me in the past and will help me next year when I'm living in a house.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
rmh
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: antiguru

Anyone have any opinions on breadmachines vs. old school techniques?
I prefer making it by hand (only using a dough hook on my kitchen-aide for the kneading), but I did it entirely by hand the first 10 years I made bread.

To me, making bread is about letting the dough tell you when it's ready for more liquid, for more dry, ready to rest, be kneaded more, etc..., and I don't see how you can get that with one of the new automatic bread machines, though the packaged bread ingredients do make a respectable, though small loaf in the bread machines.

I don't have any bread recipes - I just put ingredients together until bread is the end result (flour, leavener, sugars, other grains, liquid, some type of yeast, sometimes butter, sometimes egg, sometimes fruit, sometimes cheese, sometimes nuts, etc...)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Do you guys eat long hot dogs?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

the longer the better

Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

I like polish spicy dogs!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1Mew964DbY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1Mew964DbY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM

I always prefer bread made by hand because you can feel the elasticity and adjust the texture as needed. Flourhas a different weightby measurementwhich canvary depending on conditions. Unless you weigh your flour on a baker's scale then you'll always have a variance. Bread machines are good for people who like fresh baked bread, but limited cooking skills.

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
rmh
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef
I always prefer bread made by hand because you can feel the elasticity and adjust the texture as needed. Flourhas a different weightby measurementwhich canvary depending on conditions. Unless you weigh your flour on a baker's scale then you'll always have a variance. Bread machines are good for people who like fresh baked bread, but limited cooking skills.
How true! You gotta let the bread tell you what it needs.

So, I made another half dozen loaves of sourdough yestarday/last night. Starter was smelling fresh, clean and sour, but was in the same container for about 3 weeks' worth of additions of flour and water, so I needed to use it, transfer it to a new container and rejuvenate it another go-around. This is a starter I got in Alaska when I lived there and its roots have been reliably traced back to the early gold-rush days over a century ago by the people I got it from.

I ended up making a semi-white peasant bread with additions of wheat germ, wheat bran, gluten and ground flaxseed. Started it as I was preparing to make dinner, and ended up taking the final loaves out of the oven about midnight last night.

Sure made it hard to get to sleep with that aroma permeating the house.

The crust is crunchy and chewey and the crumb is tender and succulent - just the way I like it.

Quick Reply: The official RECIPE thread.