Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Nooooob question but it would be great for your help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Nooooob question but it would be great for your help

So I just got my first Audi AND my first manual trans and I'm doing pretty well ( had it for acouple weeks now) and just had a few questions about driving manual. My dad knows how to drive but hasn't done it in 20 or do years n you can only watch do many videos so here you go:
1) how do u guys get into 1st? I prefer to give it gas abit b4 getting off the clutch due to the very small area of where the clutch releases but I'm afraid that I might be burning the clutch?
2) is there any way to further smooth the transition between gears? I usually try to get off the clutch n give it gas when changing gears like 1st to second or second to third ( sometimes this results in burning the clutch because I watch the Rpms do a rollercoster before it is a smooth increase but I'm getting better) but I can still see my pasangers getting moved around in their seats a bit so idk if Im doing sumthing wrong.
3) is rev matching ok to do on a daily basis or does it hurt the trans engine? ( supp to be for racing ?)

Sorry for these prob very simple and stupid questions but I just wanna get very good at driving manual . Thanks for your help!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

I also heard that u can't shift into 1st gear while moving? True or false

Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

getting first down took awhile for me, the best way to do first i found was to let the clutch up just before it engages. barely press your gas and very slowly let off the clutch giving it more gas to prevent stalling but not to much to jump forward. (NEVER SHIFT INTO FIRST, ONLY if going like 4mph)

when switching gears press in the clutch before letting off the gas, do it simintanously but clutch should always come a bit first.

rev matching is how i seem to do it. just let the clutch out slowly so jumping doesnt occur.

PRACTICE will only get you better at this, do it slow for now and you will get faster and better the more you practice

Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

Thanks I tried some of your tips out today n they really helped!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Administrator

The BESTEST way is to just get out there and drive, man. The MORE you do it, the better you'll get... Unless you're female, of course (LoL, sorta)... J/K. 99.99% of teh female drivers giv the rest a bad name... J/K. The only do badly when they are on teh roads with orther cars, or not... J/K.

Just drive Man. Once yo ulearn teh basics, the rest is a fairly steep learning curve, but it flattens out over time, and you'll be smooffvvvv!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Jazz, you know I love you no homo, but sometimes reading your post gives me a headache!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Senior Administrator

Mai fingerz'z dyslexic

Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 PM

One thing to remember though, when you have been driving a standard trans. car for a while and if ever you find your self driving a automatic trans. car. Just remember not to make the motion of pressing the clutch in. Because in a automatic it will be the break, and you will most definitely come to a stop. The first time I did I was just pulling into a parking spot and came to an abrupt stop, with my left foot firmly placed on the break. Scared the crap out of me, not to mention I was a bit confused as how I came to a stop.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by a4vt
One thing to remember though, when you have been driving a standard trans. car for a while and if ever you find your self driving a automatic trans. car. Just remember not to make the motion of pressing the clutch in. Because in a automatic it will be the break, and you will most definitely come to a stop. The first time I did I was just pulling into a parking spot and came to an abrupt stop, with my left foot firmly placed on the break. Scared the crap out of me, not to mention I was a bit confused as how I came to a stop.
Bahahahah! Omfg i know what you mean man. happens when i drive my mom's SUV.
buut yeah. on driving manual... they way i learned was just from practice. but i fond that when i took my shoes off i could feel the clutch engading alot more.where as with a shoe.. on my left foot for that matter as well i just found it a little easier. Practice doesnt make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ninjajosh
Bahahahah! Omfg i know what you mean man. happens when i drive my mom's SUV.
buut yeah. on driving manual... they way i learned was just from practice. but i fond that when i took my shoes off i could feel the clutch engading alot more.where as with a shoe.. on my left foot for that matter as well i just found it a little easier. Practice doesnt make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. LOL
I still prefer to give it a bit of gas before I get into first but that's just me. I stall to much when I try to do it the other way. Lol I already had that problem when I went to drive my sisters car ( my old car) and I went to start it n I was looking for the clutch peddle to press in, n when I was at a light I got off the brake n the car started moving on it's own n I'm like WTF is going on n then I remembered it was auto.

Quick Reply: Nooooob question but it would be great for your help