Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

A Newb's perspective

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
1st Gear
Default A Newb's perspective

I've been involved in various forums including BMW, Saab, Mustangs, and now Audi. In the Mustang forum there are some really tech savy guys who exchange some great ideas. Lots of guys running no2, turbo's, and s/c's (including myself) with over 450hp. Then you get the daily question, "Are there any mods available for these cars?" Telling the guy to search or discussing a twin screw vs scroll type s/c doesn't help. He doesn't know what to look for and doesn't understand the abbreviated language either. Most often someone will give a brief explanation with a possible link to more information. Now that's not so hard. Every guy here was an ignorant (lacking knowledge) newb at some point. You fellas don't seem to understand that newbs are a good thing. It means greater interest in cars and greater demand for mods. That will translate into more options for you. More than any other forum I've seen, this one is very unfriendly to newcommers.

Nine months ago I was a newb on the Mustang forum, now we are actually working on new products for Mustangs/Lightnings.

IMO a little courtesy would go a long way in improving this site and helping others enjoy your hobby as well.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A Newb's perspective

hhaha jk...

[IMG]local://upfiles/16124/CB9238B6EFD445A2816C7D1C80FA566D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

I think that you need to understand the type of questions that are asked in these forums everyday on a regular basis. Newb's are always welcome in this forum from my own experience and I think that this is one of the friendly forums that i've been involved in. If the searches don't work well for you then maybe you're typing in the wrong search criteria. Normally, if someone asks about an opinion on suspension, chip, exhaust, etc, then the best and most time-friendly manner to deal with that is to search for it. Do some research. That is the courtesy that you as a newb should have before asking questions like that. If you're just asking for general "mods" that are available then all you have to do is find a tuning shop online that sells specifically for our vehicles and you'll know exactly what is available. It's not that this forum isn't friendly to newb's, it's that we feel that it's easier to use the search button than to bombard the forum with the same question over and over.

that is my courtesy to you.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Site Moderator

There are times when new guys get lit up like a roman candle around here. Most of the time it's when the same question was asked a few posts down in the same section.

As far as this forum being unfriendly, it's actually been one of the more courteous ones I belong to. I'm sorry that you feel this way and I hope it doesn't discourage you from continuing to visit.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
5th Gear

pcdrj, i have to say i agree with you...this forum is not newb friendly at all...but i think most of us prefer it that way...there are two other audi forums that are much bigger than us and seem to be better for audi newbies (az and aw)....IMO we have a better group of regular members who don't need to ask simple questions all day...not to say that we aren't friendly to new users, just not to those who ask stupid questions (or at least we see them as stupid)...if you stick around a little longer, you'll find that most of us here are pretty knowledgable (if you ask the right questions) and surprisingly good friends for only knowing eachother via online forums

i'm not referring to you specifically, this is the first post of yours i've seen, i'm just talking about audi newbs in general.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bentframe

pcdrj, i have to say i agree with you...this forum is not newb friendly at all...but i think most of us prefer it that way...there are two other audi forums that are much bigger than us and seem to be better for audi newbies (az and aw)....IMO we have a better group of regular members who don't need to ask simple questions all day...not to say that we aren't friendly to new users, just not to those who ask stupid questions (or at least we see them as stupid)...if you stick around a little longer, you'll find that most of us here are pretty knowledgable (if you ask the right questions) and surprisingly good friends for only knowing eachother via online forums

i'm not referring to you specifically, this is the first post of yours i've seen, i'm just talking about audi newbs in general.
Alright, well I promise not to ask about bov's.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Senior Administrator

HEY! We were ALL neoB's, once. And, we've ALL asked a question, or two, or fifteen, that got us flamed, regardless of teh forum. If you're too sensitive to take a punch every once in a while, you shud never have ventured out from behind Mommies skirts in teh first place... MAN UP!!! DAMNIT!!! I, for one, am getting SICK AND TIRED of people (not just newbs) gettin all snivelly and whiney because someone said something they didn't like!!! MAN UP!!! You takes your lumps, and you dishes 'em out. You don't always get to land on top. ESPECIALLY when you're the FNG!!! MAN UP!!! Some days you're the Knight, some days you're teh Dragon.

If I cut you off in traffic, LIVE WIT IT!!! Your phugkin HORN doesn't affect me. Wanna DO somethin that hurts, buy a faster car!!!

If I make it to teh parking space seconds before you, LIVE WIT IT! All that talkin & cussin you're doin behind teh safety of your autoglass don't hurt me!

If I'm driving TOO SLOW for you and you're wishin you were in fron of me, but you can't because traffick's TOO heavy... Well, yoour @$$ shudda left the house ONE CAR SOONER!!! LIVE WIT IT!

Life is Short, and Hard, kinda like a BodyBuilding Elf.

Two words N00B:
MAN UP!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Site Moderator

That was little harsh.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
4th Gear

//struggles to fight back the tears.....

Old 07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
5th Gear

good god, jazz..having a bad day?

Quick Reply: A Newb's perspective