Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

New tranny for the mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default New tranny for the mustang

So third gear let go today in the "new" mustang. So all I have is 1 and 2. I stopped by a shop, and the guy told me it will be between 8-900 to fix it. I think I am gonna try to find a rebuilt one and just put it in myself. Anyway, I was gonna put disc brakes all the way around it, now I guess that project is gonna be put off for awhile. The mrs. is gonna be p1ssed :-?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New tranny for the mustang

you lost third in the auto? that sucks, ya, maybe but hopefully it was rebuilt right
you could probably pull it off yourslef, if you get the right kit
just make sure you keep that valve body in tact, since thos check ***** a tricky lil guys! lol
(they have to go back , where you got them from)
i hope you get a great deal , whatever the outcome best wishes, nessa

Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
5th Gear

dude dont let a shop do it, those trannys are CAKE and a rebuild kit is like under $150 i just did one less than a year ago...... trust me its about the easiest auto you can do

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

^^^hes right, the auto trans, will be a good learning expierence for you. plus, good way to bond with your new addition!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

dude dont let a shop do it, those trannys are CAKE and a rebuild kit is like under $150 i just did one less than a year ago...... trust me its about the easiest auto you can do
I have heard they are pretty easy as far as tranny work goes (why does that line sound so perverted)

How long did it take you to do the rebuild??

Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM

The older transmissions are a lot easier to rebuild yourself than the new ones. I would try to tackle it myself and than if it didn't work out you can buy a new one.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 PM

If youve never done a tranny before set aside at least a whole weekend. What you need is a lot of clean space, like a good workbench with nothing on it, covered in plastic. (tranny fluid gets everywhere.)

get a manual (most auto places can get them for you, or you can get them online. a lot of times they will come with the kit too.) Basically these trans's are just unstacking things inside the case, and then re stacking with new parts in reverse order. take your time and STAY ORGANIZED. Keep the parts in organized stacks and piles, there are a lot of pieces, but if you stay organized it is really not terrible.

good luck.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 AM
5th Gear

The first time i did one it took maybe6 hours to get her out rebuilt and back in, but i had my dad there to tell me how to do the tranny guts, but really not hard at all man
ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

I have heard they are pretty easy as far as tranny work goes (why does that line sound so perverted)

How long did it take you to do the rebuild??

Old 03-30-2007, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

Getting it out isnt really a problem, I have done that before. Its the guts I'm wonderin about. Think I could borrow your dad? Oh well, we will see how it goes. Worst case, I try it, screw it up, then buy a new one.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
5th Gear

lol well if you were in the area id give ya a hand but you are a long way away its not that scary inside it
ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Getting it out isnt really a problem, I have done that before. Its the guts I'm wonderin about. Think I could borrow your dad? Oh well, we will see how it goes. Worst case, I try it, screw it up, then buy a new one.

Quick Reply: New tranny for the mustang