Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

New job is boring

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear
Default New job is boring

So I changed jobs about 2 weeksago. I went from an engine builder, to a hotel operator. I thought a job with less physical strain would be a nice change. But dam was I wrong. I've already almost quit once today, but got talked into staying by the management.

I'm just so dam bored. I think I'm gonna try to get my old job back here real soon.

What would you do be sweaty and build engines for hot rods, and get filthy everyday. Or sit in a nice cool/clean office a do not a lot of anything.

The pay is about the same for both so that's not an issue.

What would you do?????

Old 11-05-2006, 12:42 AM
18T
4th Gear
Default RE: New job is boring

do what youre mor passionate about.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 AM
2nd Gear

Well I love cars/engines. But not so much old Fords and Chevys. Which Chevy engines are 90% of what I touched. And there isn't many Honda shops around Tucson that are any good, or have a need for a builder.

I'm been thinking about putting some resumes out towards Cali but I don't really wanna move away from the Fams. So I'm pretty stuck tell I start my own shop. Which is my goal anyway. That's just gonna take time and money.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

Yeah, you gotta be doing something that keeps you happy.

I had a job once where I would sit in the parking lot in the morning trying to think of reasons to call in sick. It's no way to live.

If you liked building engines better and the money is the same - $hit, build engines.

Does the hotel job have any kind of future? Are you interested in that biz?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:32 AM
2nd Gear

I do like the hotel Industrie I work at a resort when I was a few years younger. Before I started working for my at my last job.

But building engines is what I love. But like I said I got tired of building engines for rednecks, who would give me crap about the cars I drive. Hondas mostly and my Audi recently.

I built this guy awhile back a 351 Cleveland for his 1934 3 window coupe. Nice motor we at the shop spent a good amount of time on this motor, all chrome parts I mean we gave this guy the works. When came to pick it up he saw me in the shop working on my Integra. The guy was sooo mad that I was working on my Integra in a shop that he thought was only for classic American cars he almost did'nt purchase the motor. Saying that I'm must be a crap mech. cause I work on Hondas. My boss had to tell him repeatedly that I never touched his engine, which was untrue, but effective. I dealt with that kinda crap a lot. Not so much when I started driving my Audi. But there were always a few.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 AM
18T
4th Gear

******* rednecks

Old 11-05-2006, 05:17 AM
Administrator

well u kno a job is a job

Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 AM
5th Gear

i woud work in hte shop. i worked in a shop for like 2 years and i lvoe it. i also worked ni a hotel but i hated that job. go with what u like. the da y you like your wokr, the day you stop working.!!

lol i keep finding drunk posts from last night. here's wut i meant

i would work in the shop. i worked in one for about 2 years and i actually enjoyed working there. i've worked in a hotel before but hated that place and am so glad im outa there. i say you should go with what you like. the day you get a job you enjoy is the day you stop "working" and start living.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

Yep, do whatever makes you the most happy.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

It sounds like you left the mechanic job b/c of the manual dirty labor you got tired of? Then the easy hotel job just got to be too boring. You might want to look around for something in the middle then.

Also consider if you what to own a shop then you don't have to be a good mechanic, just a good owner. So you might want to consider a job that can get you some management experience the fastest.

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: New job is boring