Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

New hard-drive. now i need more ish

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Default New hard-drive. now i need more ish

Just bought a 1.5TB Seagate external where i work at costco, was on coupon for $109.99, from $139.99. with all my music and the movies im copying from my roomates computer, still have like 800 gigs, need more stuff. currently have like 9,1xx + songs in iTunes, need to keep the downloads coming tho. i want 10,000. dont know why, that number just sounds cool.

anyways, now i need to get a usb deck for my X so i can use my lil western digital 160 gig portable drive for all my music, make it all mobile, plus my dvd player has a usb port so i can load all the movies i want on there and keep it plugged in so i can be even more lazy at night time

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
5th Gear

Damn you Americans and yer cheap shizza. Haha, a 1.5TB drive here would be well over 200 bucks.
Dell has a sale right now for 119 for a 1tb external... regular 199. I am tempted.
I use graboid.com a lot, so yeah... lots of space taken up by movies/tv.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 AM
5th Gear

very nice. i usually pay hollywoodvideo.com a visit every 3 weeks and dl stuff. i can't wait until i fill up my 1 tb drive. i already have a 160gb and a 250gb filled up with movies.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 AM

I just have my roommate dl everything i want, for some reason i get crappy connections sometimes thru our walls, he has the router and stuff in his room so he gets super fast dl's. on his 1tb, that i will be copying over to my hard drive tonight or tomorrow, got about 360+ gigs of movies from various torrent sites so far. at roughly 700 mb a piece, thats alot of movies i love it.

every once in awhile ill dl the stuff i want, but he usually wants it to, so we just use his computer then ill just copy it all over, that way we have 2 copies of everything in case something happens.

headshok2002 - that sucks man. i guess if thats the best deal u can find, then id go for it. my roommate here at school ordered his 1th for about 100 bucks about a month ago online, then at work we got that coupon, so i made him mad by spending 10 more dollars and getting 500 more gigs. haha.

Last edited by mctavish11; 04-15-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
4th Gear

Only 1 problem.... That drive break aka craps out You're foked. Coming from someone in I.T. losing data isn't very balla and data recovery aka Forensics cost $$$$$$$$$$$

ON top of that Seagate has been having multiple failed drives reported. I personally have purchased seagate but have never had any issues with them. My friend who works in I.T. as well just purchased from seagate and all the drives broke in a week.

So if you have anything important I'd suggest not putting it on there. Hard Drives fail,it's a known fact just a matter of time. I recently lost MASSIVE data on a WD Passport Drive pretty much all personally data going back to 2001. Companies wanted $800+ for data restoration. I spent a week reading and learing and finally was able to fix it myself. Of couse I had some help from other I.T. gurus and I had software that cost 10K plus.

Copied my data off and bought this.

Network Storage (NAS)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822165106

Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
6th Gear

nice

one newb question though because I need to get an external HD too. do all of them work for both mac and PC or do I need to look for a certain one that works for my Mac?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dj Spiel
Only 1 problem.... That drive break aka craps out You're foked. Coming from someone in I.T. losing data isn't very balla and data recovery aka Forensics cost $$$$$$$$$$$

ON top of that Seagate has been having multiple failed drives reported. I personally have purchased seagate but have never had any issues with them. My friend who works in I.T. as well just purchased from seagate and all the drives broke in a week.

So if you have anything important I'd suggest not putting it on there. Hard Drives fail,it's a known fact just a matter of time. I recently lost MASSIVE data on a WD Passport Drive pretty much all personally data going back to 2001. Companies wanted $800+ for data restoration. I spent a week reading and learing and finally was able to fix it myself. Of couse I had some help from other I.T. gurus and I had software that cost 10K plus.

Copied my data off and bought this.

Network Storage (NAS)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822165106
I hope mine lasts then, for the last 1 1/2 years i have had all my music for iTunes on my Western Digital passport hard drive (only 160 gig) and never had any trouble with it, i hope the seagate holds its own. but if not, my roommate is copying all of my music, kinda like i am copying all his movies so we have 2 copies of both, plus i still have all my music for iTunes on my lil WD passport drive, only about 40 gigs, so i will keep it backed up on there as well since i have no use for it now with the new one.

p.s. Gotta stay balla

thanks for the advice, ill check reviews for the one i just bought.

its the Seagate FreeAgent Desk, 1.5 TB.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by CAB509
nice

one newb question though because I need to get an external HD too. do all of them work for both mac and PC or do I need to look for a certain one that works for my Mac?
Sorry man, i have no clue. looking at the box for mine that i just got, it only shows windows certified, nothing about mac, so i couldn't tell ya, im not that familiar with compatibilities across the two.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
5th Gear

If you need any movies I can send you the tracker and I'll seed for you.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by hiwords
If you need any movies I can send you the tracker and I'll seed for you.
thatd be sick man, is there any way you can send a screen shot of the movies you have, etc...

im not sure how to do all that is it just a link you send?

Quick Reply: New hard-drive. now i need more ish