Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

New BMW engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:05 AM
6th Gear
Default New BMW engine

Discuss...

Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New BMW engine

That article seems like a lot of talk, nothing but talk. M3 3.0 sixes have been making more HP than that for years, what so special about a bi-turbo engine of the same size, with way more tech like ValveTronic, yet still makes less HP? I don't get it.

I hate when companies try to re-invent the wheel, spend millions developing new technology, market it like it's the best thing since Brazilian cut bikinis, but when you look close, it's the same damned thing they've been hawking for years as far as how well it works in it's intended application. I'm sure it's probably an ok motor, but it's not exactly special or anything.....

Old 02-21-2006, 12:26 AM
4th Gear

This sounds like the way BMW plans on competing with some of the supercharged Mercs.

I can already see in the future many larger turbos being sold for these cars. I don't know where I would get foresight like that though.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:29 AM
2nd Gear

i dunno.. the whole reason why i would by an m series is because of the n/a platform, reliable and fekin fast

as people in the 86 world say... "n/a is better!"

Old 02-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Site Moderator

Those turbos are tiny. Smaller than a baby's fist. The K03 is 2x's larger. Looks like they're using v-bands everywhere because the plumbing takes up so much space.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:17 AM
18T
4th Gear

hmmi dont know

Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BaconBait

Those turbos are tiny. Smaller than a baby's fist. The K03 is 2x's larger. Looks like they're using v-bands everywhere because the plumbing takes up so much space.
Haha, nice signature.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:34 PM

i think this will be a cool engine. It's gotta be fun to drive with no lag and that much torque.

remember "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" -enzo ferrari

Old 02-21-2006, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

questions upon questions:
1. so, who is getting this engine? the current m3 makes more power now n/a and with the rs4, the next gen is supposed to have the 8 cly. would this go in a 330? a4 couldnt compare without getting the 4.2, then the average everyday s4 would need the 420hp 4.2 and future rs4 getting the gallard v10.
2. what is this new direct petrol injection (dpi)? kinda sounds like FSI.
3. low inertia turbos? how come no one else thought of crisco for lube? what are so special about these turbos? titanium alloy? electo conductors spool them in sync with pedal movement and coax air flow? i dont get it.... im retarded

i did notice a lot of comparison in power to the 7 series. i had a 730i with the 3.0 (go figure) and for a luxury sedan, perfection. no *****, smoooooooth assssssss acceleration (when you are important enough i guess people can wait on you), great in inclimate weather since torque was non existent. great on gas and it could get to and cruise at 240km all day, just not today. maybe since they hinted at no car that would be receiving this new technological wonder, it may be going to the kinder gentler wealty man who likes SOME power in his ride but isnt into an m series, and likes the fuel economy of the not 12 cyl engine ( the article did talk about great fuel economy). i dont think bmw will put this in anything but the land yachts, unless they want to open up a can of worms in the euro semi luxury/sport genera.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Cheese Eater

3. low inertia turbos? what are so special about these turbos?
This is another thing that I found amusing. Low inertia. Low. Great ad campaign, but beyond that it means nothing. The weight of the rotating assembly of a turbo is not what causes lag. It might contribute to it slightly, but you could theoretically have a set of turbo wheels that weighed nothing and could still have lag. The reason is because that much air weighs a lot. You're trying to make the compressor accelerate a lot of air in a hurry. The air doesn't want to. The result (in a nutshell) is turbo lag. You can compensate for that quite a bit using different A/Rs, different compressor and turbine wheel ratios, but the expense of that is less efficent boost curves.

The only way to get an efficient turbo system with little lag is to have a very low boost system, much like what Volvo uses on it's S40 T5. If you're only running 4-5 pounds of boost and you have a strong exhaust pulse, you can have no lag. It could also help that the ValveTronic system should be able to tweak the exhaust pulse timing for a short period during spool up in a way that will maximize airflow through the turbine before reverting to the most efficient timing for combustion. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Quick Reply: New BMW engine