Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

need to get a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 AM
4th Gear
Default need to get a new car.

Okay so. my parents suck. they told me to stop my 5spd swap and sell my car, so i have to sell all the parts i got for my 5spd project. fix my auto, then drive it till i sell it.

sooo then im looking for a new car.

Parents said NO german cars :'(

so no BMW, Audi, Merc, VW. all those good cars i would love to have.

i refuse to get within 10ft of a honda.

basically im looking for a reliable daily driver, that can be modded without puttin a hole in my pocket. my limit is 10k i dont have to spend it all like i can spend 3000$ on a car and the rest to fix it and upgrade. or i can but an already modified car for more.

so opinions people! what should i get. must be turbo'd or can be turbo'd easily. and id like to stay as far away from FWD as possible.

im thinking right now about a 96 240SX s14, 2002-2005 WRX. or w.e else looks nice and is reliable. coming from an audi to a different car, i have standards so im not gonna drive around in a POS.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
6th Gear

well are you looking for another car or something different?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about that man, that swap was goin pretty well.

I'd go WRX. Just make sure you find one that hasn't had the **** beat out of it. If i sold my Audi that's the route I'd go. Readily available parts, mods, knowledge, etc.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CAB509
well are you looking for another car or something different?
looking to sell the a4 and buy something else. anything just can be a euro

Originally Posted by CCA4
Sorry to hear about that man, that swap was goin pretty well.

I'd go WRX. Just make sure you find one that hasn't had the **** beat out of it. If i sold my Audi that's the route I'd go. Readily available parts, mods, knowledge, etc.

yeah i want one, but some people are saying it might cost more to fix and insure than my a4.

idk im open to just about anything. i want to spend under 10k after taxes insurance regi. the whole 9yrds.

so im considering a 240sx for like 4000$ and use the rest on parts
or like an old RX7 Turbo
older AWD Turbo Celica.

dont want anything new new, or crazy expensive.
i need a good daily that can be modded easily. cheap parts. NO FWD.

just looking for ideas. and just because my limit is 10k doesnt mean i have to buy a 10k car. im just saying the highest i will go is 10.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

You hit the two cars I was going to name - 240SX and WRX. Both are great choices. I'd also add the 300ZX twin turbo. As a former owner of one for almost 10 years of fun, I'm highly biased toward them, but they're a great car with ridiculous power potential. 300hp stock, great handling, and for less than a grand and a day and a half's work you can be at about 425hp (intake, exhaust, AshSpec ECU, and gutted cats/precats). Get a 95 if possible - the newest of the cars that is still OBD1 so you can punch the cats and pass inspection.

If you haven't driven one, go do it. It's a fantastic car and all kinds of fun. And for what it's worth, once I turned 25 I was paying $67/month in NY for full coverage with a clean license.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 10-18-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jc61990
yeah i want one, but some people are saying it might cost more to fix and insure than my a4.
hmmm never thought of that. I can't imagine it would be TOO much more though. And like i said, make sure you find one that wasn't some snot-nosed kid's first car cause you know he beat the everloving sh*t out of it. See if you can get one from an old lady or somethin lol

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You hit the two cars I was going to name - 240SX and WRX. Both are great choices. I'd also add the 300ZX twin turbo. As a former owner of one for almost 10 years of fun, I'm highly biased toward them, but they're a great car with ridiculous power potential. 300hp stock, great handling, and for less than a grand and a day and a half's work you can be at about 425hp (intake, exhaust, AshSpec ECU, and gutted cats/precats). Get a 95 if possible - the newest of the cars that is still OBD1 so you can punch the cats and pass inspection.

If you haven't driven one, go do it. It's a fantastic car and all kinds of fun. And for what it's worth, once I turned 25 I was paying $67/month in NY for full coverage with a clean license.

yeah i like the 300zx but very rare in my area. 240sx the non hatch and non flip lights are the ones i like. its obd2 but still a nice looking fun car. and yeah my license is clean i have 0 tickets, been pulled over once by a sheriff that had to ask me a question then let me go. so my insurance wont be crazy. idk im gonna miss not having cop attention. like just last night my friend and i were in his 240sx, we were at a stop sign and people were crossing so we had to wait for them to cross. the seccond they are across he goes, and gets pulled over in 3 seccodns. the cop was like YOU DIDNT MAKE A FULL STOP! my friend was like uhm there was people crossing i was stopped for well over a minute. idk its gonna be weird to drive a car that cops are always going after. my a4 would be like invisible. ive driven 75 in a 30 before and passed a cop. nothing he kept going, blown red lights with a cop next to me. again nothing. rolled thru a stop sign with a cop on the other side. all he did was give me an evil look. my car also has style. like im 19 not many people in my area can afford an audi at 19. so everyone is impressed when i say i drive an audi. my gf even went nuts the day i picked her up. now im gonna feel like everyone else when i rollup some where in a common car. my b5 was one of few over here

Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 PM

dude you should stay away from the fast & the furious cars

buy a well-kept, clean saab for like 5-6 grand and keep the rest. Saab are not German ;-)

if your parents say NO to all European makes, then buy a brand new impala. Seriously it's a sweet looking car, and you'll be helping out the country. (somehow)

Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 PM
6th Gear

so you still haven't really answered my question. I know no Euro's but are you looking for a car or SUV, or do you want a Truck next?

I'm sure as you know my next vehicle is going to be an SUV because it's what I want and need right now. I need ground clearance and 4x4.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:25 PM

dude **** SUVs. And if you absolutely need a truck for your job or some **** then i would advise you don't buy one of those either.

get something that gets good gas mileage.