Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nature
0%
Nurture
66.67%
Both
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Nature vs Nurture

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Default Nature vs Nurture

Panda and I were having a conversation the other day, and this came up.. I thought it might be great for discussion on here.. so what do you guys think?

Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Nature vs Nurture

ugh, memories of highschool papers jkajghkljawh

Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator

ohh come on its a great debate.. and it doesnt just end in HS.. it can go onto college too

Old 01-16-2006, 12:16 AM
4th Gear

Nurture is a huge factor.

There are no presidents or astronauts that weren't told that they couldnt' be anything they wanted to be. You put those same people in a housing project with a broken home and the remaining parent telling them that they are stupid and you got a felon in the making. That is not to give the future felons an excuse, because plenty of people come out of $hitty situations, but rather a comment on the current debate.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:24 AM
5th Gear

i think both are vital, but i would say nature is more important..it depends on the type of person you're talking about...IMO, more often than not, successful people didn't achieve greatness for themselves, they did it for their parents (or some other person they look up to). in those cases, nurture would be dominant. but for the slim percentage that do it for themselves, it's all about nature.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Nurture is a huge factor.

There are no presidents or astronauts that weren't told that they couldnt' be anything they wanted to be. You put those same people in a housing project with a broken home and the remaining parent telling them that they are stupid and you got a felon in the making. That is not to give the future felons an excuse, because plenty of people come out of $hitty situations, but rather a comment on the current debate.

pretty much the same feeling. although if you are just stupid, no amount of love is gonna fix that.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:55 AM
4th Gear

"Stupid" is an inexact term. For instance, a college Chemistry professor may not know how to cook mac'n'cheese or buy a car, but he knows a $hitload of stuff that I will never understand. I know a couple of engineers that always produce good work, but they pick these terrible women to marry- divorce - and then start all over again with the terrible women.

So to Flyboy's point, these guys are stupid in a number of areas, yet successful by some standards. I don't know how much love they got as kids or exactly what their home life was like, but they are what they are.

I don't know where that leaves us. Maybe just with "Life is complicated."

Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 AM
4th Gear

Well all of those thing that you are talking about can be changed by the upbringing. I was going more for the mental capacity thing. like low IQ.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Administrator

i beleive in The Nurture Theory or Environment
i say expereince shapes who we are

Old 01-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Administrator

i agree with Nurture.. just in case anyone was wondering

Quick Reply: Nature vs Nurture