Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

National guard members questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: National guard members questions for you.

All we're saying is be aware that you're making decisions for TWO (or more), not just yourself. What comes out of a Womans mouth and what's in her heart are sometimes violently opposed concepts... FTR, us Men aren't much better, in that what we say and what we do usually fall into teh category of Dumb and Dumber.

The USAF/ANG deploy as a unit, BUT, when it comes to "fighting," the USAF fights with aircraft, right? Which they seldom, if ever, let Enlisted personnel Sortie in (known exception being rescue flights, which have Enlisted Crew Members). Hence, teh Officers go off to fight...

Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

Very good point, I have around a year to decide and to talk with her about the issue. I have gotten alot of awsome advice from you guys, and anymore is more then welcome. But like I said Im still on the fence and can go either way. I will elt time, your guys advice and the talks with my other half to make the decision. Theres alot to sort through, and I thank you guys for your input.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Senior Administrator

Its what we DO. Input provided... WHETHER YOU WANT IT, OR NOT!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Its what we DO. Input provided... WHETHER YOU WANT IT, OR NOT!!!

Im not married yet and sadly I know of this already...as well as the "honey do" list that never seems to stop growing no matter what I do.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

I dont know how long I could be over there as I will be in training for a long time, not including basic, time after basic, and other schools I want in my contract (3 year deal).

Another thing to consider, is your 3 year contract is actually an 8 year contract (read the small print). Stop loss may get you. They got me for a year before I re-enlisted.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

I dont know how long I could be over there as I will be in training for a long time, not including basic, time after basic, and other schools I want in my contract (3 year deal).

Another thing to consider, is your 3 year contract is actually an 8 year contract (read the small print). Stop loss may get you. They got me for a year before I re-enlisted.

I havent talked to a recruiter yet, I have just been surfing the site. I will read all the small print. But how can a three year contract be an 8 year? and what is stop loss?

Old 04-06-2006, 03:12 AM
2nd Gear

I havent talked to a recruiter yet, I have just been surfing the site. I will read all the small print. But how can a three year contract be an 8 year? and what is stop loss?

When you sign up for either active or reserve, you sign up for a total 8 year commitment. So if you do 3 years of guard time, then you have 5 years of inactive reserve. During that 5 years they can recall you if need be. It is not used that often, but they have started to do it to help fill numbers. And right now the army is in the process of revamping the system cuz they are having a hard time getting ahold of the people in the inactive ready reserves (IRR).

Stop loss is when they hold you past the date that you are supposed to get out. I signed up for 4 years, but at the end of that time when I was about to get out, my unit got orders to deploy to iraq, so instead of letting me get out, the army extended me for an extra 16 months. And it is legal due to the fact that all of that is in the small print on the contract. It is not all bad though, in month 15 I re-enlisted. But you should know that they have that option and will exercise it if they see fit.

And one more thing I thought about, usually the army will not send you to OCS AND pay off your college loans that you already have. Two of my friends had 4 year degrees, on from Penn State, the other from Notre Dame, and they both came in as e4's cuz it was pay off their school loans or go to OCS, not both.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Administrator

Your NOT gonna tell him about the salt-peter in the food during basic... [:@]OOPS!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Your NOT gonna tell him about the salt-peter in the food during basic... [:@]OOPS!!!
[sm=icon_quiet.gif]

I'm not gonna do it. Gotta leave some things unspoken. Besides, wouldnt that take some of the FUN out of it?

Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Administrator

[sm=icon_quiet.gif]

I'm not gonna do it. Gotta leave some things unspoken. Besides, wouldnt that take some of the FUN out of it?
Gud point. I think we're safe. I doubt he reads all the posts, just the latest...

Quick Reply: National guard members questions for you.