Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

National guard members questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: National guard members questions for you.

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Do THIS: [sm=icon_beat.gif] to hi next time he brags...

Although I ALWAYS support our armed forces, I sometimes joke and say chair force and such. But hey he wanted to fly cargo planes so to each his own.

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

If it was active you were talking about there would be no question go Air Force, but since its the guard, you have a higher rate of deployment with the Air Guard..
Yeah I dont know what the rate of deployment for army national guard with signal MOS is. Like I said Id like to stay state side, but if duty calls [8D]

Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 AM
2nd Gear

I say you are almost guareented to have "Duty" call. Signal may help you in your civ job, but they are pretty high demand over there as well. Think long and hard about it.

Also, consider the deployment times, Army guard is a year away from your life, air force only a 4 or 5 months in most cases.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:17 AM

correct me if im wrong, but if ur deployed wouldnt the ANG be safer as far as casualties go? Since u would be flying in droping ur pay load and getting off the front lines and such. Rather than being group units?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: apg96

correct me if im wrong, but if ur deployed wouldnt the ANG be safer as far as casualties go? Since u would be flying in droping ur pay load and getting off the front lines and such. Rather than being group units?

the route I plane is a MOS that would have me doing computer networking. Granted if I pass RIP my secondary MOS would be infantry, But id never be an infantryman on the front line. Unless the fight came to where Im stationed, and in that case anyone becomes an infantryman even the air force or air NG.

I did just find out there is an enlistment bonus for the mos I want so I guess that meansits garaunteed to go over.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

Its great you feel the way you do, just make sure you think through all aspects of it, not just the college money. There are alot of things to consider, and especially your soon to be wifes feelings on the matter. I am not saying let her make your decision, but it is hard on the familys, so make sure you understand her feelings. I had already done a 7 month deployment, and more 1 or 2 month stints than I can count, and my wife told me that iraq was the hardest thing she ever dealt with.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Its great you feel the way you do, just make sure you think through all aspects of it, not just the college money. There are alot of things to consider, and especially your soon to be wifes feelings on the matter. I am not saying let her make your decision, but it is hard on the familys, so make sure you understand her feelings. I had already done a 7 month deployment, and more 1 or 2 month stints than I can count, and my wife told me that iraq was the hardest thing she ever dealt with.

Yeah thats what has me on the fence. I would never let anyone make my decisions, but I have to consider her feelings.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

Yes you do. Cuz if you are about to marry her, then she means alot to you. And because of that, her outlook on your being gone that long, and more importlantly the WAY she handles it, will have a much larger impact on your time there than ANYTHING you will see or do over there.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

Yes you do. Cuz if you are about to marry her, then she means alot to you. And because of that, her outlook on your being gone that long, and more importlantly the WAY she handles it, will have a much larger impact on your time there than ANYTHING you will see or do over there.

what do you mean by affect what I do and see over there? And yes I take everything she says to heart.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

what do you mean by affect what I do and see over there? And yes I take everything she says to heart.
What he means is this: If you're dealing with an unhappy/emotional wife issue at home your heads NOT gonna be 100% on what your doing and, in teh box EVERYWHERE you are IS teh front line, mon frere. You HAVE TO have your head concentrated on the HERE and NOW, now the BACK HOME and THEN.

I made MY decision on my perception of MY manhood, when I joined (my ex wanted me to join the Air Force, if I HAD to join), and it eventually cost me my Marriage and my Family, and 20 years of child support payment, along with countless other intangibles. An argument cud prolly be made that we'd've eventually split, anyway, and teh Military just accellerated teh process, but I don't think that's necessairly true.

BTW, the Air Farce (and, by default, the ANG, too) generally send their Officers off to do their fighting for them, and teh lowly Enlisted stay back and keep the coffee warm. In teh Army the reverse is true...

Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

What he means is this: If you're dealing with an unhappy/emotional wife issue at home your heads NOT gonna be 100% on what your doing and, in teh box EVERYWHERE you are IS teh front line, mon frere. You HAVE TO have your head concentrated on the HERE and NOW, now the BACK HOME and THEN.

I made MY decision on my perception of MY manhood, when I joined (my ex wanted me to join the Air Force, if I HAD to join), and it eventually cost me my Marriage and my Family, and 20 years of child support payment, along with countless other intangibles. An argument cud prolly be made that we'd've eventually split, anyway, and teh Military just accellerated teh process, but I don't think that's necessairly true.

BTW, the Air Farce (and, by default, the ANG, too) generally send their Officers off to do their fighting for them, and teh lowly Enlisted stay back and keep the coffee warm. In teh Army the reverse is true...

I know shed support anything I do, which is why she will be my wife in three weeks. She is just scared about me being in harms way, and being gone for a year when the longest we have been apart in 5 years is for a week.

I have never heard of officers for air force and ang being the ones that leave. But Im sure being a college grad they will try to get me to go to OCS training. Im not in terested in a career, just the training and serving my country. I dont know how long I could be over there as I will be in training for a long time, not including basic, time after basic, and other schools I want in my contract (3 year deal). Plus this wont be for another year until school is out so things may be different.

Quick Reply: National guard members questions for you.