Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

My first autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
1st Gear
Default My first autocross

I was at my sisters horse show today, and in the parking lot the WI corvette club was hosting some autocross. So, being my motorhead self and bored with the horses of course, I walked over to check it out. I then found out it was open to the public and just had to pass inspection to be able to run...I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I got my car all checked in, and got in line to run it. I was in line with brand new ZO6's and Grand Sports, but I wasn't worried about that. I ran my runs, and wow, that is quite an adrenaline rush. I am itching for more of it now. I beat the times of a cobalt ss and another vette with mild mods. I was very proud of myself for this being my first time. If anyone knows any more autocross events in the southern WI northern IL area, please fill me in, I would love to go again! and wow, that audi handles AMAZING with the all wheel drive. Pics to be posted later!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

All this with the 2.8? Pretty impressive. Sounds like a lot of fun...

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

yup, all of this with the ole 96 2.8 with exhaust work...and thats it lol... the lil 5 speed and that v6 do QUITE well for me out there... I dont know about small mods to help me with this, but if anyone has any small cheap mods fill me in please! It is such a rush tho, i would encourage anyone else that can find an autocross near them to try it.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

Congradulations ! AutoX is tons of fun!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
4th Gear

You're going to be very limited on what you can do to mod the 2.8 other than the basic stuff like exhaust (done) and intake. Check out the stickies for mods you can do, then if you have any questions, post them up in a new thread.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

are there any reasonable suspension/ handling mods that can be done? I just completely redid my brakes so.... check that off the list.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

There are plenty of options for the suspension, you just need to look around. Some of the favorite sites around here are ecstuning.com and blauparts.com

tirerack.com is currently having a sale on some Koni shocks, so you could get lucky there.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:25 AM
5th Gear

you must be a pretty good driver to beat a vette. the vettes and camaros in my region all run slicks and the drivers can really drive lol. autox is such good fun. you get to test out your car's capabilities while not getting a ticket lol

Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

So, I had to google autox just to see what all the hype is about, and now I want to check it out for myself. They have a couple "clubs" within an hour or two drive of where I live. Did you do, what I've learned they call "Solo" with the cone courses and relatively slow speeds? I have to admit, the idea of pushing my car in the handling aspect of a couple solo runs sounds like a blast. I'm definitely going to give it a try when I get home...

Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Completely worth it! good time!

Quick Reply: My first autocross