Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is my car fast enough to do a open track day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Default RE: Is my car fast enough to do a open track day?

havnt decided yet. I might just go to what ever date works for me. Maybe like laguna seca or button willows

Old 09-26-2005, 04:52 AM
Administrator

i would love to take my car out to the track but i dont have any spare change to buy some tires

Old 09-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Administrator

just wait till your getting ready to replace your tires.. nothing like racing on bald old tires

Old 09-26-2005, 05:55 AM

uhhh... I dont think Leguna Seca has open track days.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

APG... Just wait till you have done a few trackdays, and you are getting your **** handed to you by cars that you would consider slow and crap. As Silver said, its not so much the car, but the driver. I've seen scoobies with shedloads of power being lapped by MK1 MR2's, and my Mk1 Astra has lapped quite a few very fast cars in its time. Its not so much how fast you are on the straights, but how much speed you can take into, through, and out of the corners. Thats where you will need to be doing all of your driving, not on the drag racing sections in between them!

Old 09-26-2005, 12:53 PM

I was wondering the same thing just yesterday

I am a stock 1.8T and I think racing would be way to much since my engine has over 100k now and after winter ill pry be at 120 or something.

Pry race it but I would need to be very careful with her.

also pry do a chip, rims, brakes before I race it.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven
In roadracing, we have a saying. "The newb with the most horsepower just hits the wall the hardest."

LOL too true.

I would say to try and get a cheap...ish track car going for yourself. Now I know this may be a contradiction of terms because putting together a track car is not always "cheap" and may be out of the question for now. But you could always look towards a decent entry level car ie. MX5 or the like, get a decent used model for cheap, and invest in a few good performance upgrades.

I have friends who have managed this for under 10 -12K. Now it's not going to be like Silver's FD, but it's a good starting point for the track. You would have a good, fun track car that you could use and practice with, plus have a boat load of fun in, without putting your Audi under the excessive wear, tear and duress that "racing" your car can impose upon it.

Just an idea if it's possible.

ps: If I added to your thread after you had already came to a conclusion, yet again, I apologize but I didn't read the whole thread, yet again.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

OMFG
Another APG Thread
IBitgoes5pagesatleast

In On Page 1

This space for sale.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Heinzanova

OMFG
Another APG Thread
IBitgoes5pagesatleast

In On Page 1

This space for sale.
lol

I got in and out quickly Heinz b4 I get my head chewed off again. I still added the disclaimer just in case though...people seem awful grumpy around here lately

Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

I would also recommend doing lots of AutoX first. It's slower, but you still get to push your ride to the limit, and when you srew up (because everyone does at some point) all you have is a bit of cone rash. Laguna Seca is not good for a first experience. Too many blind corners and whatnot. It's fun once you know your car inside and out, but it can be terrifying to try to learn there.

I would try Streets of Willow Springs if they still have open track days like they used to.

Quick Reply: Is my car fast enough to do a open track day?