Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is my audi f**ked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Is my audi f**ked?

MY 1999 AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO , so me ad my brother were driving in my audi and the oil light flashed on the dash, so we started to go to big o tires because it was the closet place. like 5 minutes later the engine started to sound like **** an make all sorts of knocking noises and just died on us at a red light. we had to push it the rest of the way. big o told me that a seal broke and the engine was ruined saying we needed to replace it for like 3600 dollars. i towed the car home put new oil in it and started it and there was no bad sounds, i found where it was leaking from and it was just right by the oil filter. has anybody had similar problems. my good friends dad is a mechanic but he doesnt know audis any advice??

Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 PM
3rd Gear

That's not something that can be diagnosed over the web, but those knocking noises from the engine don't inspire much hope. Get a few good opinions, see if the engine still drives or works under load (with oil in it) without making those sounds again. If it seems ok and you can drive it around a bit without the engine making those noises, maybe you can try just replacing the leaking seal and see what happens. was it the oil filter seal that was leaking?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

ya i was convinced it was blown so anything other than that is good news. i havent tried driving it yet definately wana look at it more, and yea idk ye tit was cold as **** today so we couldnt do too much to it. when it happened like makin all the noises an stuff it was freezing the night before i wonder if tat had anything to do with it. im just hoping that the goons at big o are retarded and have no clue what there talking about

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 AM
5th Gear

not directing this at you, just a general observation...

I think if I had a low oil light flash, I'd shut the car off IMMEDIATELY, until I knew what was going on. $3600 is a lot of money to gamble with for a 5 block drive.