Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

MrFlippant's New Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 AM
4th Gear
Default MrFlippant's New Ride

Picked it up Saturday afternoon, I've now officially switched over to the dark side, as I am the proud owner of a new (to me) 1990 BMW 525i 5-speed. Car's got about 163k on the odometer, and seems to be pretty solid mechanically. All the interior gadgets and gizmos work correctly and the upholstery is in great shape. Clutch grips properly, no shakes or rattles or clunks. Engine bay is so clean you could swear it just rolled off the assembly line!

It's got a couple of cosmetic foibles here and there, but nothing critical and nothing I won't have fixed pretty soon. It's seven years older than my A4 was, and you can tell - but the complete and total lack of a monthly car payment pretty much makes up for that, I think.

I've got a few mods in mind, should be able to get started on those after two or three paychecks. Anywho, check it out.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Senior Administrator

B - M - W? That's a FUNNY way to spell Audi!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 AM
Senior Administrator

FWIW, be careful when you do teh brakes! Hork it up and you blow a seal in the master cylinder and hafta replace the whole frikkin assembly. I speak from experience. There's a pressurized cylinder, if I remember correctly, aside from the resevoir, that you hafta pop the cap on, too, to keep from screwing up one of the internal seals. It's been almost 15 years since I wrenched on a B-M-trouble-U, but that nasty lesson stuck with me.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 AM

there is much potential for that car and engine.

Like some of this:

That's what mylittle brother is putting together for his E30.....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear

I can dig it. b5's have better interior than most cars out there, new or old.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

Nice, I love old BMWs so I approve.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Pretty nice pick up! Look pretty clean.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
5th Gear

you traitor. my friend has the same one except in red and black interior. everything else is basically identical. just remember those things are terrible in the snow so take your time

Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Administrator

If you want some cheap, easily applied WHP, goto: zazzle.com and search for AWDaholic. I GARE-un-TEE you'll be able to add on 25/50/100 WHP, easee-peesee!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
4th Gear

Yeah the interior is definitely a step (or two) down from the interior of my B5, but I'll get over it - it's still a nice, comfy place to be. That looks like a helluva parts collection your bro has got there, spanksta.

The 5 drives pretty nice, biggest differences I've noticed so far are that it doesn't feel as quick as the A4 did (I think because it's just a hair bigger and the stock suspension is just a hair softer) and the transmission feels totally different when shifting. In any case, it's a damn nice car and I'm happy with it.

It weighs only slightly more than the B5 did, and the engine puts out only 4hp less than my Audi 12v, and only has to drive two wheels, so it gets up and running with about the same sort level of enthusiasm. The inline 6 is definitely a lot more rev-happy than the 12v V6 - my 12v never really had a problem with revving, but its torque peaked at 3200rpm, and if you revved it past that there was really no more pull. The I6 in this car keeps pulling all the way up toward 4500-5000rpm, and makes a beautiful noise doing it, even with the stock exhaust.

Quick Reply: MrFlippant's New Ride