Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Moving Back to Spokane

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 AM
4th Gear
Default Moving Back to Spokane

So some of you might have read my dilemma thread a week or so ago. Well I have decided to move back to Spokane, WA. The reason i am moving back is because the amount of money I would owe when I am done with school here would be up around $200,000 or so. To make monthly payments on that plus money to live I would need to make about $70-80K a year to just barely get by and I don't want to do that. And if I don't have a consistent job then it can go up if I need to borrow more money. SO... Here is what I am doing instead:

Once I move back i will look for a full time job to start bring some money in. I will be living at home just until I get enough money coming in to move out. I am then going to start night classes at the local community college to get my business degree and then also start my own production company. I will probably have to borrow about $10K to get that going but I will be able to pay that back within a year. I am going to start out with weddings and then start adding in special events and what-not. All the money that I make at first will go to paying off the loans until they are all completely paid off. Once I get going on those I will start branching out-side of Spokane and start marketing in the rest of Washington state and possibly parts of Idaho and Organ. After a while and I start bringing more money in I will start using that money to finance my own short movies/films and submit them to film festivals to start getting my name recognized in the film industry and then go from there.

By doing it this way I will still be getting into the film industry but I will be doing it making money instead of going in debt to do it. Also as the industry grows it will start moving up towards Spokane and Seattle areas (it already has but just not a lot yet) and by doing this I will already be established and hopefully be in the top of the production companies in that area which should help out a lot.

SO... Thats my plan.

Josh

Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Moving Back to Spokane

Why not stay in California? Isn't the film industry based in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 AM
4th Gear

Yes it is but the competition down here is insane and if you are not the very top person in your field you don't make money. Plus the cost of living in the LA/Hollywood area is insane and it does not make sense for me to stay when I can live well and have a good company going in Washington. Spokane has the largest production company, North by Northwest Productions, North of Hollywood. I will be able to intern there if I want and learn more. Also eventually I might move back down here one my business in Spokane grows and I am making money.

josh

Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Not a bad plan really - you're being smart about not burying yourself in debt with an uncertain feel of having a job when you get done. Takes courage to abandon a long-term plan but your backup is smart and may put you in a better position later on. Hard to fault you for that.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

couple thoughts. if you're gonna be able to intern, you may just pass on those bus classes @ a community college. jr college bus degree wont help for jack in the real world. you really need a min of bach, better w/mba. also, they teach you crap that doesnt really work. used to argue all the time (having worked for a few years then returned to college) w/my instructors. thayd say things like, a mexican immigrant is more likely to buy a ford made in mexico to support their heritage. i responded w/have you actually talked to these people? they're here for the american dream. they want the american car. if they wanted a mexican made car, they woulda stayed in mexico. note-this was when globalization of car manufacturing was in its infant years. theory is theory. theres a reason the only place communism remains is in the us university system.

so far as work to help your long term plan, job suggestion: firefighter-they have large chunks of time off, hours flexibility, night hour, etc, pays relatively well, not much needed in the realm of requirements. you hear lots stories of writers doing it for these reasons. lets them focus on their passions while supporting themselves relatively well.

or you could follow my path. DC degree takes 4yrs, 6 if you need a ba or bs. ave pay now is 50k/yr for every weekday you work. mondays is $50k/yr. mwf $150k/yr. m-f$250k/yr know several guys who did this. worked 8 years investing properly and retired. then, they're really in a situation to whatever the passion is.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Josh, we will be glad to welcome you back to the PNW Hopefully you can come out to some events on such that we commonly have on the Wet side

Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
4th Gear

Sorry to hear that, mate... but look at it this way - you have YouTube.

If you're good, you'll be discovered there I'm certain

Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
4th Gear

HAHA, Redgoat, for sure I will come to some of those. I have a few friends in the Spokane with A4's as well who would like to road trip over there. Keep me updated on those.

As for the youtube thing, I am for sure posting my stuff on there. LOL

Josh

Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

HAHA, Redgoat, for sure I will come to some of those. I have a few friends in the Spokane with A4's as well who would like to road trip over there. Keep me updated on those.

As for the youtube thing, I am for sure posting my stuff on there. LOL

Josh
Its easy to stay updated.. click the link in my sig

Old 10-25-2007, 04:54 AM
4th Gear

Ok, sweet. For sure I will have to come to those!

josh