Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

is it more fuel efficent to run your car on a half tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default is it more fuel efficent to run your car on a half tank

like if everytime you filled up it was only to the half way mark with the ocanional time when you filled it up completly. also is it true if you pump slower u get more gas or something like that.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: is it more fuel efficent to run your car on a half tank

never heard the half a tank one but I have heard if you pump slower you get more gas and fill up in the morning when it's cooler because less gas is in gas form and you'll get more gas too.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

no, its better if you fill up once u reach half tank and yes its better if you pump slow. This means that youll get more liquid than gas fumes in the tank.I have a email with a bunch of these techniques and info i'll try to post it up if i find it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/m_901412/.../tm.htm#901412

I just created a thread with the email i got with tips on pumping gas. Check it out

Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Good tips. Thanks RMT.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

I don't know about the fill up your tank once you get to half way method but I am aware of the fact that the more unecessary weight you have in your vehicle, the more energy it will cost to accelerate and displace it around town.

The way I see it, I neverbuy more than half a tank of gas and I don't replace it until the gas light is on.
Why do I want to lug around an extra 6-7 gallons of gasoline with me in the car?Even though it weighs alot less than water, it is still sloshing around in there.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

If you keep refilling at half a tank then you're just wasting money from that half that you never use, and nowadays thats about 35 bucks

Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Half a tank would be more efficient because you'e carrying less weight around, and fuel is just dead weight. However, since your tank isnt baffled, its not worth it because the fuel you have will evaporate more quickly.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: WeezyTT

If you keep refilling at half a tank then you're just wasting money from that half that you never use, and nowadays thats about 35 bucks
That makes no sense at all. If you fill up at half a tank then you're only putting $35 in to begin with instead of $70.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: audi_n00b

ORIGINAL: WeezyTT

That makes no sense at all. If you fill up at half a tank then you're only putting $35 in to begin with instead of $70.
Nooo, old gas floats to the top so it never gets to the engine. Didn't you know that? It's right there in the manual!

Quick Reply: is it more fuel efficent to run your car on a half tank