Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Mercedes are Pos's

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Mercedes are Pos's

Well my girlfriend has a slk230...the little 2 door supercharged one. Well my mom backed into it in my driveway and it crunched the whole trunk it. My mom was in the avalanche. I think that is pretty pathetic...but it didnt hit the bumper...just the trunk. I know most of the sturdiness is in the bumper but i had a bmw 330xi before i bought my s4 and i got rearened while i was driving by a truck and it only hit my trunk...missed my bumper all together and it only put a dent in the trunk...it didnt crinkle up like her mercedes did. I have heard that they are supposed to be one of the saftest cars on the road but this has changed my mind on that. We are prolly going to try and get her a bmw now bc I dont trust that car at all. It shouldnt have smashed the whole trunk like that by just backing into it. When I was hit in my bmw the guy was going about 40mph and I only got a dent.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Default RE: Mercedes are Pos's

dude I am drunk and this makes ZERO sense....get back to you in the AM

Old 01-06-2007, 07:19 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Brandon2000s4

We are prolly going to try and get her a bmw now bc I dont trust that car at all. It shouldnt have smashed the whole trunk like that by just backing into it.
You DO realize that part of what makes it a safe car is the fact that the trunk will crumple up like that, right? Those areas are indended to fold up like a paper crane. It absorbs te impact, rather than transferring it to the occupants. Sure the car is worse for wear, but the people inside will be ok. They build them with weak outer sections like the trunk and hood area, and super strong cabins. If they made the outer sections tougher to resist damage, all of that force would go directly into the passengers. It's almost like a big pillow. Now, imagine you want to punch Jazz in the side of the head. If you punch his bare head, the force will not be absorbed, it will directly transfer that quick motion to his head and his brain will be addled (ok ok, more addled). Now visualize him with a big pillow duct taped to his head (not a stretch, that's how I usually envision him). Because the pillow will collapse on impact, it will absorb much of the force, leaving his brain no more addled than on any other Friday night.

Don't get me wrong, she should still get a BMw, but it should be for the right reasons. A BMW is no safer than a Merc, but the Z4 will run rings around an SLK.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear

Who the hell rates the saftey of a car based on how much it dents up compared to when they got into an accident? You think you're better qualified then the saftey programs whose sole purpose is to test the saftey of cars? Like Silver said, its designed to behave that way. Funny how owners of more expensive cars seem to know jack **** about them.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

Now, imagine you want to punch Jazz in the side of the head.
Now WHY wud anyone WANT to do that?

If you punch his bare head, the force will not be absorbed, it will directly transfer that quick motion to his head and his brain will be addled (ok ok, more addled).
Not to mention the equal and relatively opposite (while I'm not a muscle-necked gorilla, I ain't a pencil-necked geek, either) force imparted back to the striking vehicle (in this case we'll assume it's a fist, cuz, last time anybody hit me in the side of the head THAT'S what they used). This process is defined in Newton's 2dn and 3rd laws. So, boney fist (take a look at YOURS, how much padding, exactly, do you have on the part of your fist you hit things with?), against boney brain-case. BOTH are gonna hurt. Hit me HARD enough to increase my natural, any-given-Friday addledness and a fair amount of shock will be transferred back to yoour fist, travel up your spindly forearms (assuming you're not SS, who works out with his forearms, if you know what I mean), and maybe as far as to and through your elboy and shoulder joints. Prolly won't hirt them, but they'll FEEL the impact. Years of clumsily bumping my head have given me a extra mm, or two of bone surrounding most of my head...

Now, the physiology of the cranium come into play, here. Your brain, whether you know it, or not, is surrounded by a thin encasement of fluid, and held in place by cartilidge, basically. In order to get to the next part, where I become more addled, you're gonna hafta hit my head HARD enough to torque my dome quickly enough to overcome this natural cushioning. You NEED the head to spin FAST enough to cause the cartilidge to stretch enough allow the brain itself to displace the fluid and strike the inside of case it's in, my skull. Impart enough "spin," fast enough, and you get a kock-out. Which is, more or less, the ultimate in addledness-ivity. Which brings me to leverage. Bigger levers give bigger torque, right? Now, since I'm NOT gonna wait around while you attach a suitable lever to the side of my head to allow you to knock me out with a love-tap, each head has it own, short lever aleady attached to it. It's called a chin. That's why most, but not ALL, knock-outs come from chin-checks. If you RILLY wanna addled someone (me, for instance), quickly and easily, aim for the chin, not the side of the head. The side of the head is made from thicker bone, and hurts YOU more, the harder you hit it.

Now visualize him with a big pillow duct taped to his head (not a stretch, that's how I usually envision him).
It was PRESCRIBED, ok? I had a small problem with falling off of bar-stools, for a while. The Bar I now frequent is called "Safety's." The owner, Ron, is an ex-insurance salesman (he got out of that racket because he got tired of LYING to everyone he met, all day, every day) and all f his bar-stools hafe seat-belts.

Because the pillow will collapse on impact, it will absorb much of the force, leaving his brain no more addled than on any other Friday night.
I still wear the pillow, BTW, because I think it compliment my look, overall. And, AND, I don't hafta comb my hair when I cover my head with cloth-encased goose-down (nuthin but the BEST for my head, I always say).

The original lesson IS valid, though. The trunk crumpled because it was DESIGNED to do so.

I may be addled, but I do know that cars are MADE to crumple around me, so that it doesn't crumple INTO me. Hey Brandon, I know a good place to pick of head pillows: http://www.destructoid.com/heartwarm...ow-28949.phtml

- Jazz

Old 01-06-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Wow, this thread just brought the forum's average IQ down a few notches. We need to institute an entrance exam or something.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

what went wrong here?? this isn't even readable.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

Wow, this thread just brought the forum's average IQ down a few notches. We need to institute an entrance exam or something.
Are you referring to the original poster's misunderstanding of the non-tankedness of an itty-bitty car, or our lighthearted summation of the purpose of said non-tankedness?

Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

Are you referring to the original poster's misunderstanding of the non-tankedness of an itty-bitty car, or our lighthearted summation of the purpose of said non-tankedness?
Definitely the former, specifically his complete lack basic of knowledge about how cars behave when hit in diff places.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Administrator

I had a car that got hit in a couple of different places. In a parking lot, once, and another time it got hit while stopped at a light. It dint crumple up, either time. It was a toyota mycar... Oops, meant Camry, damn flashback commercials poppin in and out of my head[:@]. I guess they suck, since the trunkedness dint kick in, huh? next time someone hits me and my trunk DOESN'T crumple, I'm gonna slam the right back until it does, I might even use the back end of teh car, if I'm in a hurry, cuz thats' where the trunk is, I think!

Hans, whadda ya meen are IQ is goin down? Iount sea it.

Quick Reply: Mercedes are Pos's