Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Major Decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear
Default Major Decision

Ok. I had posted about getting a new G35 coupe. I just had a pretty in depth conversation with my fiance and I have actually got her to go with me on this. We just bought a Honda Accord Special Edition. It's just about brand new and has close to no miles. That is going to be our every day car for work and what not. We are starting to experience some really crappy problems with the A6. Timing Belt needs to be replaced, needs the 60 thousand mile tune up and I have just recently noticed that there is very loud raddle coming from under the car. It has 63,000 miles on it.

Here is where the question comes in... Since we are 50/50 on everything, she has agreed with me on this. I need some help on whether or not I should do this. I can sell the A6 and get one of the following -

2006 Ducati Supersport 1000 DS with everything that you can get on it.

2006 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX 1300R Special Edition

What would you guys and gals do? This is a solid deal. I could go out this weekend and get one of the above if I wanted to.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:19 AM
Default RE: Major Decision

Wow... that is a major decision. First is first, do you like the A6.... forget the timing belt and the rattle... performance wise. I'm sure it's still a great car. And those bikes are huge... you ride i presume?? I'm hoping to get into it this summer. My friends neighbor is selling a 2000 Ninja 600. prob going to buy it, I wanna learn, any suggestions (Sorry for getting off topic)

Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 AM
4th Gear

Yeah, ninjas are good to learn on if you can all ready ride other dirt/less aggressive bikes.

cary12- I have ridden the bikes you listed, and i would strongly urge to go with something slighter smaller. I have put many miles on the busa, and unless your into straight line stuff only, its like riding a whale. The ducati is nothing specail, your paying for the name, thats all. My suggestion is to look into something more in the 750 to 1000 range. The 05/06s are fast, almot as fast as the bigger bikes and you can really toss the around. The new 06 ninja 636 is perfect for the all around rider. I would have one if i didnt go stage 3 with my car.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 AM

Thanks AudiBoy... nah most of my experience is on dirt. 200's mainly... wanna get on the pavement.

-Forgot to mention that my friend just got the 06 GSXR 1000 and only has amazing things to say about ot. He "warmed it up" to around 170. He took his 04 up to 217 with slight mods (Including a chip with no limiter of course) He loves it... check it out.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:38 AM
4th Gear

Im doubting 217mph with "slight mods" The 1000s dont flow and dont have the gearing like the busas do.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:52 AM

so maybe i was speaking lightly... he pretty much changed all the intake exhaust... and yes the gearing.. that thing was modded from tire to tire... he really loved it... hes hoping to top that with the new one. This guy is insane with his bike... he has like 5 bikes in his garage. Insane kid.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 AM
1st Gear

Uhh

I call BS on your bike thing, but look dude.

You're NOT MARRIED. She WILL **** YOU OVER.

That being said, buy her a ring, keep the A6, and grow a pair..

FOR MAJOR LIFE DECISIONS YOU SHOULDN'T BE RUNNING TO YOUR AF.COM FAN CLUB

Old 12-28-2005, 06:30 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: rowingdude

Super outlook.....

IF she's going to **** him over, a ring won't make a difference. Really no point in bringing it up then, is there?

For major life decisions, you should look for advice where ever you can find it. People on AF aren't going to have any worse advice than anyone else.

That being said, selling a car isn't a major life decision, nor is buying a bike (unless of course you end up dying on the bike, bu that's another matter). On to the advice then.....

Reasons to buy a bike.....

1) They're stupid fun.

Reasons not to buy a bike.....

1) You'll die.
2) You'll never be able to take anything anywhere.
3) You'll hate it anytime it's below 60 degrees.
4) Anytime it's over 80 degrees you'll show up everywhere sweating your *** off.
5) You'll drop it (everyone does, it's not if, it's when).
6) You'll drop it at the most inopportune moment (such as the one time you take off with no leathers on).
7) You'll die.

Also, if you do buy a bike, go to the bookstore/Amazon.com/where ever you have to, and buy the "A Twist of the Wrist" books by Keith Code. Those two books will teach you more about high-performance riding than three months of riding blind and just trying to teach yourself (which will as a result, make you safer). Keith Code is THE MAN when it come to motorcycle roadracing. He's trained some of the best in the world including the Bostroms, the Haydens, Jake Zemke, Doug Chandler, John Kocinski, Wayne Rainey, among others. Seriously, any rider who hasn't read his stuff is missing out.

And whoever said Ducatis aren't worth it obviously hasn't watched World SuperBike for the last, oh I don't know, DECADE or so. Sure, the 1000DS isn't really that great a bike in it's class (nor is it very pretty), but the Ducati race reps are some of the best machines money can buy. I raced a 916 for a while, and I've put many hours on the 996, 998R, 999, and 748. Give me a twisty road and a 916, and I'll stomp any Busa, anytime.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

Uhh

Ah. Those are words of wisdom... LOL. Growing a pair doesn't have anything to do with it. When your with someone, you just don't go out and sell your car and buy something. It's a little more difficult than that. I never said MAJOR LIFE DECISION. I just said it was a major decision.

Silver - Thanks for the advice. I love the A6, I'm just scared at what the outcome will be when I hear back from the mechanic when I take it in... I have a feeling it won't be too great.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cary12

Uhh

Ah. Those are words of wisdom... LOL. Growing a pair doesn't have anything to do with it. When your with someone, you just don't go out and sell your car and buy something. It's a little more difficult than that. I never said MAJOR LIFE DECISION. I just said it was a major decision.

Silver - Thanks for the advice. I love the A6, I'm just scared at what the outcome will be when I hear back from the mechanic when I take it in... I have a feeling it won't be too great.

Didn't mean to quote myself. LOL.

Quick Reply: Major Decision