Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Maintenance question... advise is appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Maintenance question... advise is appreciated...

Hey DX,

ORIGINAL: bentframe

B5 A4s are 96-01, Avants started in 98 (1.8T 4-banger or 2.8L V6)
B6 A4s are 02-05 (1.8T or 3.0L V6)
B7s are the new 05.5 (2.0T 4-banger or 3.2L V6)
Avant is Audispeak for "stationwagon," in case you din't already know

Old 05-21-2005, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Hey DX,

ORIGINAL: bentframe

B5 A4s are 96-01, Avants started in 98 (1.8T 4-banger or 2.8L V6)
B6 A4s are 02-05 (1.8T or 3.0L V6)
B7s are the new 05.5 (2.0T 4-banger or 3.2L V6)
Avant is Audispeak for "stationwagon," in case you din't already know

Thank you my brotha... believe it or not i did know that. but what i dont understand is the list i have above... saying if i look at a 96 and up a4.. that it will come with the rear end like the one above in POPS sig? I swear i have seen a4's with different rears.
As far as what i want to spend... well im a BALLER! and money is no object..! okay im full of **** now! I actually want to limit myself to 10k for a used vehicle since im paying it outright and dont want payment... i have to keep off financing to keep credit available for home purchases. Again i really appreciate the infomation you are all providing... I hate being the new guy.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:06 PM
6th Gear

The rear end in pops sig is shared by A4's from 2002-2005 DXplicitOne.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Administrator

I think Jest wins the "Coolest Sig" contest, ladies & germs...

DX, I've linqs for auction (on & offline) and Auto Broker websites (auto brokers deal in rebuilt cars from insurance payouts, as well as repo'd and some used cars. If you shop carefully you could find somethhing more than what the asking price is. I got my '99 A8 4.2 Quattro with 46,470 miles on it/leather/electric everything cd-changer (no navi, sadly) & more, for less than $20k, for instance. A few minor flaws (small crack in pass mirror & a missing **** for the drivers elec seat), but nothing I can't DIY.

Anyway, check out this place in PA as an example. I cud PM U my folder full of websites if you're interested. They're all over the US.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

I think Jest wins the "Coolest Sig" contest, ladies & germs...

DX, I've linqs for auction (on & offline) and Auto Broker websites (auto brokers deal in rebuilt cars from insurance payouts, as well as repo'd and some used cars. If you shop carefully you could find somethhing more than what the asking price is. I got my '99 A8 4.2 Quattro with 46,470 miles on it/leather/electric everything cd-changer (no navi, sadly) & more, for less than $20k, for instance. A few minor flaws (small crack in pass mirror & a missing **** for the drivers elec seat), but nothing I can't DIY.

Anyway, check out this place in PA as an example. I cud PM U my folder full of websites if you're interested. They're all over the US.
you would be a pimp if you could help me out with that... my car was actually picked up today by a guy who flew in from mississippi and he drove it home. so im car less... i was going to go to the la county auction next weekend and see what i could come up on but i wasnt expecting to find gold thats for sure. any help is appreciated... and i dont mind repairs... im actually a body man, painter, as well as a certified 12v electrician... so fix'em is cake for the most part.. i was planning on painting the car no matter what... its just my thing. again everybody thanks for the wealth of info and lets see what the next few weeks put in front of me to purchase... !

Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 AM
3rd Gear

Yes!! Another possible converted honda ownerJk, what motor/turbo did you have on your acura?

You'd be very surprised how easy these cars are to work on. I have worked on Honda's and the simplicity is about the same, of course you will hafta learn your way around the new design. I took my car to the dealer once a long long time ago and never ever want to go back. I have a stuck pinch bolt on the control arm though so I may hafta go back soon, but other than that and wheel bearings, everything else is diy (if you have access to a press, even wheel bearing are diy), and if you have a vag-com you should have no reason to go to the dealer. OEM parts are easily available through online sites. Oh yea one other thing, once you drive awd, you will have a hard time ever going anything 2wd again, I cant possibly see myself driving fwd, or rwd anytime in the future.

Where are you from? And what color do you have in mind?

Old 05-24-2005, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

that front mount sits nicely in your bumper...!

And thank you for the re-assurance on the wrenching... In my integra... i ran a GSR motor that i rebuilt with Wiseco 9.5:1's and a set of shot peened rods. The turbo was a simple T3/To4e .57 trim, .60 cold, .63 hot from turbonetics. The car ran good but its just time to move on. I actually sold the car without the turbo or any of the turbo accesories on it. So i have these parts if i can fab them on to the new setup... but something makes me want to buy new **** anyway..!
Im gonna have to research this Vag-Com crap i hear so many times on this board... ! I take it this will be my first investment if i purchase the audi way.
And believe me id love to have a AWD but id also love to have a turbo as well... but at this point i really cant be too picky if im looking to pay outright cash for the car and looking for a deal at the same time.... So im being realistic... who knows what might happen though.
Las Vegas is where i stay.. i havent been near you over in the east in quite sometime since i lived in Va Beach, VA... but them bastard *** cab drives in NYC hit and ran on my teg! weak ****! Oh and not to mention i got a $225 parking ticket for a "No Standing" Zone??? How the hell? Only in NY!
Color wise on the car... im thinking of two choice but i have to see the car before i lay spray to ensure the proper flavor of course... but a dark brandywine color as a base with a red flake in my first stages of clear followed by a few shots of straight clear. Or believe it or not i have been experimenting with some doo doo brown colors i wanted to get into... maybe a dark chocolate with a bronze flake in the first clear stages. But since about 3 years ago i have wanted the brandywine color so i think im leaning this way.

I have been shopping the net all night for these damn cars! AWDaholic thank you for the info you passed my way... its very helpful and when in vegas i owe you a drink.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:30 AM
4th Gear

10K? not only is the B5 (1996 - 2001 and 1997 -2001 for the 1.8T) a better car IMO... you'll also have a hard time finding Pops' style car.. a B6 (2002-2005.5 -- hm... why the short run?) for 10K... and I hear of people picking up B5 1.8T Quattros for 10K all the time.

and... i like black

Old 05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: CheckMyVitals

and... i like black
And you know what they say about BLACK...

Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
rs
2nd Gear

blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice??

Quick Reply: Maintenance question... advise is appreciated...