Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

long time no talk

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM
4th Gear
Default long time no talk

hey everyone, whats up? i dont know how many of you will remember me but about 3 months ago i left for marine corps boot camp, and well, i just got home and i figured id stop by... it was an experience i will never forget and for now i dont really have time but feel free to ask whatever questions. unfortunately on my ride home my grandfather died so now i have to go prepare for that but as of now i am on 10 days leave and 21 days recruiters assistance so ill be in and out for about a month

anyway, just thought id say hello

semper fi

-- kid

Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Welcome back and congrats on completing training - great milestone to reach bro, glad you got through. You won't regret it, that's for sure. Sorry to hear about your grandfather - sucks that you had to take that kind of bad news along with the good.

Keep your head down if/when you're deployed and glad to see you back - again, congrats on becoming a Marine!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 AM
4th Gear

thanks, got some more news, wake isnt til tuesday so ill be arond for the weekend it looks like... its going to be hard to go out and party and enjoy knowing the situation but yea... oy, tough times, but, great times.

thanks devil

Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator

I hear ya. Cool that you'll be around for a bit. I have utmost respect for the USMC (my brother is a Captain - one noncombat and two combat tours in Iraq so far, and headed to Afghanistan in November), and I know what it takes to hack it. Hat's off to you man - you accomplished something real the last few months and it's one of the rare things that NO ONE can take from you.

Hope you've got some small USMC decal on a quarter window of your car by now. If not, you should - I don't adorn cars that way but if I was a Marine, you can bet there'd be something on there.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 AM
4th Gear

no worries, i already do haha... driver rear quarter window on the tt... looks good.

its amazing the looks i got too... when i left the island i was in service charlies and the recognition was amazing

great feeling

Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Good man lol - you want to have that for pride, but it may even help you out on the streets. My brother got pulled over once for 12 over right after a speed limit drop, and when he gave the officer his license, he said, "I see you have a Marine Corps decal - are you active?" My brother handed over his military ID. The officer walked back, ran him to make sure he wasn't wanted, came back, handed him his documents and said, "Have a nice day - semper fi." Pulled up his sleeve and had a tattoo of the USMC flag on his arm

And yeah, you will see a lot of recognition. I was in Hawaii two weekends ago for his wedding, and we were waiting in the courtyard of the Haile Koa hotel by a huge banyan tree for the girls to come down for pics. He was in dress blue/whites, along with two fellow captains also decked out, and a buddy from college in Navy whites, all with swords and ribbons displayed. We were waiting for about 15 minutes and I think they might have had about 3 minutes total where they weren't engaged by other people walking by, thanking them for their service, shaking their hands, and recogniziing them for what they do and have achieved. It was pretty amazing to see. People really do care and they WILL respect you for your choice. There's a lot of antiwar sentiment out there, but even those I know who are against it are still standing behind you and the others who elect to enlist. Most of the population is pretty ignorant, but they know you don't choose where to fight, you just go where they tell you and do your job. People respect that, and they should. And this definitely gets respect:

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 06-06-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

welcome back just had a good friend of mine come back from the marines and he still stands like he is trained to just out of habit

Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

He probably will forever - friends of mine who've been out of active duty for years still stand at parade rest and walk as if they're in uniform. Easy to spot those guys

Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 AM
5th Gear

welcome back man. seriously if i was more physically fit i'd be a marine too. if need help looking after the TT you can just drop it by my house hehe

Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Bah, bring it to my house - the shop is over here LOL

Quick Reply: long time no talk