Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Life changing desicion

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Life changing desicion

so i have a very large opportunity possibly coming up in my life and im not really sure as what to do. right now i work my butt of every day for a decent wage but not what i deserve but i have the ability to move to new mexico and get paid a large amount to go to school and double the amount once i finish the 3 years of school. But im just not sure if at 19 im ready to fully grow up and toss all fun things away and work at a government job...

i know that its a once in a life time opportunity. but the books ive got to study are increadably hard to understand that i must learn to take the pretest to see if i will get accepted into the program.

any opinions welcome please help me out here...

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
5th Gear

what will you be studying? i'm around you're age and i was in the same situation when i graduated high school. for me, it was either work at a restaurant my whole life and only have 4 days off a year which is what my parents are doing. or i could go to school, graduate and get paid 2x more and retire my parents. well i took school. many government jobs are pretty easy. plus the only things you'll need to throw away are chewing tobacco, if you chew, and drugs. i really think you should go to school bro, you'll thank yourself later on in life

Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

getting paid to go to school and get paid better afterwards is really a situation you shouldn't pass up. Also, it would be great for you to have a secure job, giving the situation so many people are in. I think you should go for it.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 AM
3rd Gear

Take it from me buddy, I was doing that same, making great money working a decent job with great people, but I didn't have my degree and that was holding me back. At 28 years of age I'm not old by any means but I have successfully gotten my *** back to school, because everyone needs that piece of paper regardless now.

Things are tough all around and it's in these times that you want to have a sense of job security. It also helps to get you back into a job when **** like this hits the fan.
Not everything in life is easy my friend and if you spend the rest of your life trying to do the easy or comfortable thing you'll quickly find yourself in a spot you don't want to be.

Nobody wants to rush growing up, at some point you have to wake up and man up at that point in time. Yours is now. Don't be too concerned what everyone else is doing. You know what you need to do. You are 19, you have plenty of time to have fun. Put it this way, after you get through school and land that job, you can afford to have more fun. More expensive fun.

That's my 2 shiny pennies.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

go for it!

whew! I thought you were finally opting to sex change operation after all...

Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
5th Gear

do it.

whoever said money doesn't buy happiness probably died poor and depressed.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM

yo dude go for it...government jobs have you set up for life. the government isnt going to file for bankruptcy...china may end up owning it but still will be there.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by andrewj654321
so i have a very large opportunity possibly coming up in my life and im not really sure as what to do. right now i work my butt of every day for a decent wage but not what i deserve but i have the ability to move to new mexico and get paid a large amount to go to school and double the amount once i finish the 3 years of school. But im just not sure if at 19 im ready to fully grow up and toss all fun things away and work at a government job...

i know that its a once in a life time opportunity. but the books ive got to study are increadably hard to understand that i must learn to take the pretest to see if i will get accepted into the program.

any opinions welcome please help me out here...
Three things that I would like point out to help you out.

1. You get paid for what you do, not what you "deserve". A days pay for a days work, it's not anymore simpler than that.

2. School is the best way to guarantee future success. Here's some census statistics (1998,1999,2000) for you:
Professional Degree=$109,600
Doctoral Degree=$89,400
Master's Degree=$62,300
Bachelor's Degree=$52,200
Associate's Degree=$38,200
Some College=$36,800
High School Graduate=$30,400
Some High School=$23,400.

3. Work hard, don't expect things to come to you and you'll be ok.

And FWIW 8 years after graduating college, I'm now making 10 times what I did before graduating, and loving it too!

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Guru

Go gov't. The only things you'll have to ditch are the drugs and hookers and you get great benefits.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
5th Gear

1. You get paid for what you do, not what you "deserve". A days pay for a days work, it's not anymore simpler than that.
simple and not so simple at the same time. I get what your saying, but underpaid is underpaid.

I entered the job field with the attitude that if I worked hard, I'd be taken care of. In reality, they took note of the working hard part, and used it as an opportunity to put more work on me without compensating me any more. When I left, I was replaced by TWO people.

BUT, in those situations, you simply leave (unless you're under contract).

So take THAT as more reason to take this opportunity. If you don't like the situation you're in, put yourself in a different situation.

Quick Reply: Life changing desicion