Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

License plate laws

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 AM
1st Gear
Default License plate laws

I live in Oregon and have been pulled over for not having a front license plate (not to mention i was going a little fast but that's besides the fact). My a4 does not have holes in the front bumpers for a license plate, i have spoke with a police officer before and they say if it is in the window it is inproper display of a license plate. So Does anybody know what the laws are for Oregon and Washington, I Just recently bought my s4 with washington plates and i haven't had an issues with cops period. the Previous owner stated that in washington it doesn't have to have a front plate. Is this true?

Somebody please help?! I hate plates on the front, is there another way to get around this?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

I am in Ohio, another 2 plate state, and legally speaking you gotta have a front plate mounted to your front bumper. You can get creative and attach it to your lower grill to avoid holes in the bumper. I personally never install my front plates, I think they are ugly and don't want holes in my front bumper, nor do I display it in my front window and I never get bothered here.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
2nd Gear

I appreciate how you are looking for cold hard facts on this and also appreciate how you don't want to do a front plate. I can relate.
However, its going to be a matter of depends. Like does the office feel like giving you a ticket. You already know what the state requires right?

I am in Ohio and I have a front on my TT (ticket target). So I won't even try to chance such an issue in that car they are gunning for me.

On my boring Jeep Grand Cherokee however, I went 9 years without the front and never was bothered. Just got a new JGC and didn't bother to put one on it either. I actually lost the front one and told the license bureau lady when I renewed i didn't have it. She looked at me aghast and said If i didn't have one i BETTER get one! I just stared her down and said I think its in my garage or ...somwhere.

I passed a cop on side of Interstate yesterday going 71 in a 65 in Jeep, no front plate, no event.

It all depends.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Guru

Let me google that for you!

Let me google that for you

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

As previously stated, it really all depends. Where I live in SoCal, legally you must have 2 plates, but it is rarely if ever enforced. Maybe if the cop is having a bad day and gets you for something else...but even then it's rare.