Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is this legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Is this legal?

Its also another way for the company to advertise. People see the van on the road and then you park it in a residential neighborhood.

Its like a mobile billboard

Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

I agree with NAHO... unless you signed a contract where you agreed to what they are telling you to do now they can't make you do what they're asking. Companies like to pretend they have a lot of clout and tell employees to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they have the right to. IMHO, unless it is part of a contract you signed, that is a completely unreasonable request. It's one thing if it was a priviledge or perk to the job to be allowed to use a companyvan to drive to and from work, but it sounds like they're asking you to do it because it helps them out, then they're penalizing you for the mileage you put on the vehicle, because ofwhat theytold you, you have to do.I don't think youshouldbe liable for the companies property when not at work unless you need that equipment to perform your jobfrom home.

Theycan't tell you, you have to take on that responsibilityunless its part of an employment contract that you signed and agreed to. If you haven't, I would refuse to unless they draw it up and try to amend your employment agreement, and at that point I'd negotiate something into the deal that is beneficial to you. Also, I'd make sure there is some verbage that clearly states you are not liable for damage or theft while the vehicle is parked at your residence. The company should assume responsiblity in that case, unless they can prove that you were the one responsible for the theft and damage of course.

The only exception to that would be if its something that is standard practice and "normal" with other businesses, it may not be correct, but it could be accepted practice, and then I guess you might just have to live with it, but if its unique to this company I'd bring that up and point that out to management for sure.

You don't want to risk your job obviously, but when an employer is being unfair and asking you to do something which seems completely unreasonable to you I think its worth taking a stand. Sometimes you then have to ask if its worth staying or better to just suck it up for awhile and then look for another place to work.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear

Also, If you really don't want to do what they are telling you to do, then quit working there and get a new job. It's not like they are holding a gun to your head forcing you to work there........

Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

I never signed any paper work stating i have to drive the van home, i just spend 4 hours goin threw it over and over again, and i signed nothing....I really like the job it self and majority of the ppl i work with, thats 1 of the reasons i "came crawling back". I think i am just goin to keep "forgetting" to take my truck home. thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 PM
4th Gear

Honestly, they cannot force you to use a vehicle then charge you for the fuel.

That's illegal here in California.

Besides taking the vehicle to your premises implies that you are responsible for it - when it should be the other way around. If you live in a bad part of town and the vehicle gets broken into, vandalized or stolen - who's to blame?

Ask for something in writing showing that it's in your job description and outlining the liable parties... bet their insurance people don;t know about this.