Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is this legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default Is this legal?

The company i work for is forcing its employees to take their companyVans home AND deducting gas usuage per KM from the shop to our house. I have no space for it, the neighboors will complain about the ugly labledVan on the street,not to mention the tickets. my parents don't want it here, what can i do? Its Their Van, should be Their responsibility. I should'nt have to look for a place to park a big ugly white labled van....THEY SHOULD! So if anyone can help me out find some bi-law or way around this it would be great. area might be helpful...Mississauga ontario canada,Peel region.... I've wondered why i came back to this company, money is excellentbut this company is run by fvcking retards, I wanna slap the VP and District manager.
Thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Default RE: Is this legal?

I live in Etobicoke and I can't exactly think of a bylaw but I don't know if they can MAKE you drive the van to and from work (while you're at work thats a different story) unless its in the agreement you signed to work there.

I'd first try explaining the situation to the manager and seeing what can be done about it. It's weird that they don't allocate space for parking on site.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 AM

I don't see anything wrong with the company asking their employees to take company vehicles home with them, but they shouldn't charge gas usage for the trip. In some neighborhoods, it can be tough to find parking. Of course this depends on where you live. I know that in my neighborhood, work trucks are not allowed to park overnight on the street or in the driveway. I live in a HOA, and their rules are very strict.

My only concern about the vans would be all the expensive gear that's kept inside overnight. If one of the vans were to get broken into while at the employee's house, the company should realize that the employee should not be responsible for the gear. The responsibility falls on the company.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

My van is pretty silver with chrome... When it's at my house, it's like my Audi just put on a ton of weight!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
4th Gear

I dont know about the laws up there in Canada but I could take a guess as to why they are making you guys take the vans with you. Didn't your personal truck get broken into before you quit?If I remember correctlythe company is not in the best of neighborhoods which is costing them.They probably changed insurance policies which dont cover the vans on a unsecured lot so they have decided to put the responsibility on the employees. OR their currentinsurance warned them of being dropped if anything else happens.

Just by chance have you "forgot" to take your van home yet?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
4th Gear

I agree with what new2me said.. sneaky bastards.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear

ya, truck was broken into last year. truck is still at the shop and i bring all my personal tools home with me every night.
We had a meeting this morning, turns out the reason they want us to bring our trucks home is that the snow plow and neighboors have complained about parking to the landlord. What i don't understand is that this company knew this was goin to happen because they got kicked out of the other unit for the exact thing, they should have rented/leased an area with gated parking and its own building so we dont have to worry about neighboors/theives.
some ppl dont have space for 2 vehicles, my co-workers landlord wont allow commercial vehicles over night. same with some condos/apartments. i just dont have the space for it, we have 5 vehicles all ready in the driveway,no more room lol.
....btw my truck is still parked at the shop

Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

It's not local laws you need to look at, browse your contract/agreement you signed for the company. If it's a union job contact a rep.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM
4th Gear

You guys should have said you can not take the van home because of space and tickets. Either the company needs to lease a lot or pay for the employees to park the vans in a garage, storage lot or pay the nightly parking tickets.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

wow, that is one bulls hit company....

Quick Reply: Is this legal?