Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lasik Reflections

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default Lasik Reflections

Well I'd thought I'd share my personal thoughts on lasik that I got on 11/16/2006.

First of all, the staff at TLC in Newport Beach is awesome. The chick that worked with me in the consulation was nice and pretty hot too. I'm trying to decide wheter or not to take her out to lunch but I'm married so I'm shelving that idea for awhile.

Now the story:

As I walked in they proceeded to rape me $5200. Of course I used my flex spending account so the real cost to me was around $3500. After that I went into a waiting room for 30 minutes where they proceeded to put in a flurry of eye drops. One for anti histamine, second for cleaning out my eyes for bacteria and such, and the last to promote my eye to produce tears (I think) and also a 1/4 pill of Xanax (sleep medication). During the 30minutes the eye drops somehow made it into my throat which gave me a itch burning battery acid taste which sucked and also I started feeling real sleepy since I took a xanax on an empty stomach. Soon enough they called me in and placed me in a chair to put anesthesia eyedrops into my eyes. This is where things went a little wrong. Since my eyes were already watery from the eye drops I recieved 30 minutes prior, the ones that they just put in to reduce pain basically slid right out of my eye. Thus, no anestesia, or at least 10% of it.

Now they take me to the surgery table and start putting this suction cup ring thingy on.

Now putting that cup on hurt like a ****! One they were done my eyes started shooting water like streams. Never the less I clenched my fists and bit down and began to tolerate until they attached that ring thingy to the intralase device which cuts a flap into the eye. Now intralase also hurt like a ****! Just imagine someone dragging a sewing needle around the iris your eye to make a cut. After they did the first eye I wanted to call it quits so bad! My eyes were in hell! But of course I didn't, there's no going back. I let them do the second eye with the same pain and agony (Of course I thought this was all normal) Below is a pic showing how the cut around the iris looks like after the doctor lifts the flap

After doing the intralase they moved me to another machine and asked me to sit tight for 10 minutes. Now those then minutes were hell as well. I was blind and could only see 4 dark circles and plus it felt like I had concentraded soap in with 10 eyelashed stuck in my eye. I then said to myself there's no way in *ell this should hurt this much and asked the doctory why I'm in such pain. Course they quickly adminstered more drops and then the pain was gone. Thank GOD!!!

Now the lasik part. Again they had to fit another suction ring thingy which hurt about 50% less. Once that was done the Dr went searching for the flap the intralase laser made with a pointy hook. The feeling of cold steel poking my eye and also lifting away the flap (picture above) didn't feel to great either but was bearable. Once that was done it they fired the laser for a good 30 seconds which resulted in a burning eye smell which wasn't too pleasant. As soon as it was over they placed some liquid in my eye and put the flap back into position. Now this is the part that sucked the most! When the flap was back into place the doctor used this squegee thing to get any liquid and bubbles from underneath the flap out. Now it didn't hurt but was extremly werid and uncomfortable. So much so that the doctor had to say somewhat loudly "please keep looking at the blinking light." I tried and tried but he was squeegeeing my eyes all over. Again, I wanted to call it quits even though I had one more eye to go.

I wont go into what happened with the other eye since basically the same thing happened. The moment I walked out of the operating room I really had to force my eyes open to see. nevertheless, when I did force my eyes open I could tell my vision was near 20/30. I also felt shitty as well. The Xanax was really working me and I felt like I had tiny wooden splinters in my eye. The rest of the day involved sleeping from 12-6 and taking anoter xanax which made me sleep again from 8pm to 8am the next day.

Now my impressions. After just getting back from the eye doctor for a post op checkup I can produdly say I have 20/15 vision. WHOHOO! The pain I experienced is paying off and it feels great. My vision is still cloudly around light bulbs or brightly lit objects but the doc said that'll dissapear slowly and I still feel as if there's two eyelashes stuck in my eye. I really wish I could've met someone who had lasik before I did because I experienced it a little differently than what I had originally imagine. Nevertheless, I am happy with my results and looking forward to liveing a eye glass free life.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Lasik Reflections

That sounds like it really sucked! I did bladeless lasik around 2yrs ago and there was no pain at all in any of it.

You'll have the halos for a while when driving, so watch out when driving at night.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

Sounds like a horror scene from SAW...
[&:]

glad to hear youve allready experienced some difference...

Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear

Wow.

That's nutty.

My wife had it done 3 years ago and there was no pain.
They sent her home with some horseblinders on, I gave her medication and put here to bed.
She slept for about 16 hours, we took her back in to her optomestrist the next day where he took the blinders off and cleaned the gunk (medicine) out of her eyes.
Then she slowed opened up those beady, crusty, little suckers and said......"Oh my God, I can see perfectly".

That was the first time in 10 years that she could see without the use of glasses.

Downside:
When I met her 7 years ago, she used to wear these hot-a$$ greenish-grey contacts that made her look even more smokin' than she does already.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 PM
4th Gear

Hmmm... I'm scheduled for the Monday after Thanksgiving....

Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Palindari

Hmmm... I'm scheduled for the Monday after Thanksgiving....

You'll be fine. Just don't go to A3Night's Dr. Mengele.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo
You'll be fine. Just don't go to A3Night's Dr. Mengele.
Heh heh....

My wife, FYI, also went to TLC and had the procedure done by Dr. Thomas "Izzz notta" Tooma.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

My sis had that **** done. She said it was easy, and painless. Though she said it was extremly uncomfortable. She did the same kind you got A3N. But my sister would probably be able kick your *** as well.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I asked a few guys I know who got it done and they said no pain. I really think that drop of anesthetic that was slipped out of my eye was the culprit. Damn, I got screwed cause it really did hurt and I really wanted to call it quits during the surgery a few times. I have a pretty good pain threshold but having things poke, vaccuum, and squeegeeing your eyes is torture. But like evoic's wife, I slept like a rock with xanax and next day no pain except the eyelash in the eye feeling. I also picked up a nice pair of Oakely Juliets Polarized today. I think I'm gonna start modding myself instead of the A3. I've already compiled a list:

1) Eye Surgery (done)
2) Sun Glasses (done)
3) New snowboard wear (pending)
4) Some new jeans and shirts
5) Random electronics

BTW...I got mine done by Dr. Tooma as well over in Newport Beach.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

I think I'm gonna start modding myself instead of the A3
niiiice...

Quick Reply: Lasik Reflections