Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

lady & gent...start your engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default lady & gent...start your engines

i (lady) have 05 S4 Cab, my friend (gent) has 06 A6. Both 4.2, both auto/tip. he wants to take to race at local track. will this be a close race? will it all boil down to who is the better driver. one point: my car has been broken in, he's only had his for a couple of weeks. another point: neither one of us has raced before. how much $ should i put down. i'm open for advise. thanx

Old 08-15-2005, 06:31 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: lady & gent...start your engines

haha, sounds like fun!

I'd look up the weights on both... I imagine your car is no featherweight, what with being a cab and all... the a6 is definately heavier than the s4 to begin with, but cabs are usually a few hundred pounds heavier than their hardtop coutnerparts.

The launch would be everything... launching the tiptronics properly is pretty tricky, I bet... I'd also bet that although the weight thing is important, the launch is going to be much more important...

also, I think your 4.2 has more horsepower than his, and I'm sure it has a better tranny -- at least I'd hope so... so you have some advantages.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kelly

i (lady) have 05 S4 Cab, my friend (gent) has 06 A6. Both 4.2, both auto/tip. he wants to take to race at local track. will this be a close race? will it all boil down to who is the better driver. one point: my car has been broken in, he's only had his for a couple of weeks. another point: neither one of us has raced before. how much $ should i put down. i'm open for advise. thanx
1 MIIILLLLION DOLLARS!!!!!! (in dr. evil voice)[sm=joke.gif])

i think it will come down to who has the most skillz; not the car in this case.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Sounds interesting, I think U'll take him although both motors are 4.2L I think the A6 is a bit heavier. IMO he shouldn't skip his break in period. Anyway, have fun and post results!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
rs
2nd Gear

id think the s4 would be quicker, if driver skill is the same. far as i kno, the s and rs lines have different gearing then just the regular A's.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
5th Gear

Assuming he has the new A6, he has 335 hp, and weighs in at 4145 lbs.

Knowing you have a 2005 S4 cab, you have 340 hp, and weigh 4090 lbs.

I do think the S4 should have a better/harder shifting transmission, although I could very well be wrong... regardless, you're lighter, and have a whopping 5 more ponies!

It will definately come down to the launch.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
2nd Gear

I did 2 track days a couple of months ago...trust me it will all come down to driver skill...even with cars that are not so evenly matched it would.

I assume this is not just a 1/4 mile acceleration test...this is a track?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 PM

ooooooo the plot thickens... lets follow our hero continues through this story..

Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 AM
3rd Gear

It will defiantely be down to the driver. I used to have LOTS of fun overtaking scoobies in the twisty bits in my little 1984 race prepped 1.8 Astra! It only had 145 bhp, but it would outhandle everything this side of a Lotus elise! They used to get away on the straights but the amount of speed I kept through the corners I would catch right up again, and often get past them as they began accelerating again. Great fun!

Get a decent driver in a scooby though, and more often than not they would leave me for dead. Its amazing how many scooby/evo drivers think they are suddenly Colin McRae just becasue they have a rally rep!

Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 AM
5th Gear

just get a chip, then you can bet as much as you want and you'll def spank him

Quick Reply: lady & gent...start your engines