Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

issued failure to control vehicle speed citation for no fault accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

Not a bad idea. I may get a mini video recorder and just stick it to the dash to record any future incidents.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
I'm gonna have cameras installed IN my next car, along with stickers on the windows warning that ALL interactions ARE recorded, and that approaching teh vehicle will be considered consent to record (so, they can't arrest me, just for recording without their conscent).
Can't remember if it was here, or somethin off topic in the boating forum I troll, but in some areas, its now illegal to film a cop.

I had a friend, uhh, 'following' me with my vid camera suction cupped to his hood at H2O one year, and a cop nabbed him. Cop made him take the camera off the car, citing that it was illegal to have a camera on the car like that, and gave him **** about it recording while he was stopped, and wouldn't go about his official business until it was turned off. SOooo, good luck with that...

Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Guru

Pesky civilians! How dare they try to hold cops accountable! They're allowed to film us but when we try to do it them... NOOOOOOOO!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by achTTung
Can't remember if it was here, or somethin off topic in the boating forum I troll, but in some areas, its now illegal to film a cop.

I had a friend, uhh, 'following' me with my vid camera suction cupped to his hood at H2O one year, and a cop nabbed him. Cop made him take the camera off the car, citing that it was illegal to have a camera on the car like that, and gave him **** about it recording while he was stopped, and wouldn't go about his official business until it was turned off. SOooo, good luck with that...
As long as it is clearly posted that they are being filmed IDT they can stop me, legally. Otherwise, everytime they stepped in front of an ATM they'd be able to arrest the bank (yes, the ENTIRE BUILDING), or go in a 7-11 and arrest the owner as well as the perps... Doesn't make sense. They may not LIKE being recorded, but, *I* have rights TOO!!!

As for your friend, the cop prolly rambled on about obstructing the drivers view, or some such; the safety of "what if it comes off," an schitt... Cops are big on being anti-fun, and "whut if." Kinda like 'rents (are we STILL callin' them that, or, have I gotten even moar old and out-of-touch?). Wanna have some fun? Next time a cop stops you for doing something not OBVIOUSLY illegal, ask them what code you are violating... Ask them if the can put it on the ticket. THEY WON'T. Aside from specific traffic laws, and a few random ones that stick in their minds for whatever reason, they don't KNOW the laws any better than YOU do. They are pretty muck just winging it, like your 'rents did/do. General knowledge about what's right and wrong, a few specifics, a badge and a gun.

A little research, ahead of time, about any "grey" areas, will go a long way (and, prolly **** of the cops, so be careful HOW you speak to them. You don;t wanna get sent-to-your-room, do ya?)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM
5th Gear

Found the article I was thinking of....

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Administrator

If I clearly post that I am recording (the system I am referring to is not an externally-mounted camera... It is, in fact, permanently mounted, and capable of recording from 4 - 6 micro-cameras installed IN the interior of the car) on the outside of teh car, in such a manner as to be read by anyone approaching the car (along the upper front/rear windshield/window, for instance) that anyone approaching the vehicle is conscenting to being recorded, they then get to decide IF they want to continue with the interaction.

Unlike the dousch on the motorcycle, I have no intent to "publish" my videos. They will be used ONLY in the event of the need to prove, in court, *my* side of the story. I have had cops change or modify their version of a stop, on two separate occasions, simply because the judge was becoming agreeable to MY contention that I was not doing anything demonstrably different than everyone else on the road, at the time. In other words, I was a victim of a "random-act-of-justice." Once I began explaining away what I was being accused of, the cops story changed. If I had a recording (not of teh cop, but, of MY actions prior to teh stop) I could have better defened my actions.

In a "my-word-against-the-cop" situation, you will ALWAYS lose, because the courts have a "relationship" with teh cop, professionally, and there is teh expectation that he is telling the truth, ALL TEH TIME, based uopn that reputation. You, on the other hand, are just some perp attempting to evade prosecution, so, it is expected that you will lie, or otherwise preveracate your actions, to avoid whatever penalties you are facing. I'll see if I can find the link to the system I am talking about, when I get home.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Administrator

Most of teh Maryland cases have hinged upon the "wiretapping" law, and that consent is needed from BOTH parties... The system I am looking to install does NOT record audio. No leverage, there...

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
5th Gear

I totally get what you're saying, but if the 'relationship' between the cop and the court is what you say it is, and the cop is shady, you must acknowledge, that there is the CHANCE that the cop, after you call him out, tries to hit you with another violation, as was the moto-cicle dudes case.

Also,

that anyone approaching the vehicle is conscenting to being recorded, they then get to decide IF they want to continue with the interaction.
What if he's already made his mind up that he's going to continue that interaction and that YOU'RE NOT going to be recording it.

What happens then? HMMM??! WAT THEN

Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by achTTung

Also,

What if he's already made his mind up that he's going to continue that interaction and that YOU'RE NOT going to be recording it.

What happens then? HMMM??! WAT THEN
no different than if a cop walks into a convenience store, where survelience is 24/7. even if in the performance of his duty, he is consenting to being recorded. Signs are clearly posted. If he continues, and doesn't want the interaction recorded, he will have to have me exit the vehicle, and ask me to disable the recording. If he has a valid reason for wanting it disabled, I will. If not, I won't, and we can discuss it in the courts. I have lawyers, too. High-viz cases make or break careers around Metro DC. I'm 100% sure one of my guys would be willing to try to make a name for himself, using my money.

right now its a moot point, until I get my wheelz right and the system installed.

i'll keep y'all updated, of course

Hey, AaC, you haven't chimed in... What are the recording laws wherever U are?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

I'm beginning to think cops are like women, you can't live with them and you can't live with out them.

Quick Reply: issued failure to control vehicle speed citation for no fault accident