Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

iPhone users - anyone seen something like this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Default iPhone users - anyone seen something like this?

OK, so I want to get a couple things for my iPhone, and the one thing I can't find is a leather/suede carrying sleeve with a clear window in it. I've found a million of them like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B1NUWM/...0&linkCode=asn

It's got an open area to access the touchscreen. I want one that has a plastic "window" or "shield" covering the opening, so I can see the screen but so that it's also protected. I've tried a bunch of Google searches but no luck yet. Anyone out there with an iPhone see something like this?

I know AT&T and Apple sell plastic sleeves to go over the screen but I don't want a "phone in a bag" if I can help it. Maybe I'm just naive about the way those plastic protectors work on the phone, I'm not sure (the store was crazy busy, no one was freed up to take a look, and the packaging was both sealed and uninformative). Any input?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

yeah, we had one. I suggest just getting a screen protector, which works awesome, and find a fancy cover case.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
5th Gear

when did u get an iphone? anyways you're not gonna find wut you're looking for. a plastic screen will absolutely kill the touch sensitivity and you'll hate the case. just get a leather carrying case that goes on your belt and walk around like a boss. like tifun said, get a screen protector. my g1 came with a screen protector and it's done a great job.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

i have the invisible shield which is apparently the add I see in this thread below lol

Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
5th Gear

I had the invisible shield when I owned the iPhone. It's definitely fantastic scratch protection... Won't protect it from a drop or anything, though.
And, after a few months... it looks yellowish (my iPhone was white), and the little pieces which protect the edges were getting grungy and starting to peel off.
Still though, had I complained, they'd have sent me another one for free. I got rid of the phone first, though. Got the invisible shield for the screen of my blackberry, though!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Like everyone else said, get the screen protector for it.

When I had the iPhone, I bought the screen protector from Target and had the rubber/silicone outer shell. It worked pretty well protecting the phone.

I think you can go out to the mall and get those invisible shield protection for about $40. I have that for the BB and it has been doing a great job protecting it from scratches and such.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hiwords
when did u get an iphone? anyways you're not gonna find wut you're looking for. a plastic screen will absolutely kill the touch sensitivity and you'll hate the case. just get a leather carrying case that goes on your belt and walk around like a boss. like tifun said, get a screen protector. my g1 came with a screen protector and it's done a great job.
I got the iPhone a few days ago and so far I love everything about it except the fact that when you're using it as it's designed (websurfing and other apps, iPod, etc) the battery drains so fast you can almost watch the meter move lol (I can kill it in under two hours that way). Otherwise the thing rocks.

I don't care about the window killing touch sensitivity because I don't plan on using the phone in the sleeve - I just want to be able to see the screen without removing it (which is the intent of the open-face sleeve wallets) but I want something there to protect the screen rather than having it completely exposed and unprotected. I'll take the phone out to use it.

I appreciate all the feedback guys - I will swing back over to AT&T today and see if I can get them to pull the screen protectors out of the package and show me - if they're what you guys have said, then they'll be perfect.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
5th Gear

You should be getting much better battery life than that after a few charge/discharge cycles.
Even with internet/music use, it always lasted me the whole day.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
5th Gear

kill it in 2 hours? that's freaking terrible. i've used the internet literally 4 hours straight b4 the battery gauge turned red and i decided i should put it away lol. looks like you won't have to worry about posting on AF at work anymore