Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Im thinking of buying an Ensenada 20 and living in it as much as I can

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:44 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Im thinking of buying an Ensenada 20 and living in it as much as I can

I know its a boom, but with 'arent sailboats dangerous' i figured keep the tech talk to a min

Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 AM
5th Gear

update!

The ensenada never happened, I did find another swing keel, a Catalina 25 for $8000, but even more tempting for me is the Stardust Cruiser 40 I found on craigslist.

Not THE boat, but very similar. Should have brought my camera...

The one I checked out needs paint, may have a small leak in the steel hull, needs the AC/DC wiring systems straightened out, and doesn't have a shower, just a head (possibly upgradeable)

Hull inspection should be easy after the paint is stripped off the bottom. Its in dry dock now I'd probably leave it there until I got the hull cleaned up.

I threw together a spreadsheet to compare my bills. Apartment by myself/buying a house vs, renting a room in the cold months and staying on the boat in the warmer ones.

Sorta figured it might talk me out of a somewhat weird idea. nope. Save $1500 a year staying on a boat for the summer. Thats planned around a 2 year loan for the boat, so after 2 years, I'll be saving a couple more grand a year.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
5th Gear

Uhh... I think living on a boat would have more "unforeseeable" expenses than a house.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:09 PM
6th Gear

meh, I'd get a sicker housboat than that thing if I was gonna live on it. gotta have something the ladies want to come back to.

I guess I'd settle to living on this

or if it had to be on a lake somewhere maybe this

but seriously while I love the water and plan on having a lake house I think I'd rather have a house on the lake rather then "on" the lake if you know what I mean. although if it's moored most of the time you'd have access to regular power and everything but then that would be one of those transient kinda creepy things I feel like. it's one thing to say, hey babe, let's go back to my boat for the night but when your boat is also your sole house, i don't know man, kinda creepy, like you could untie in the middle of the night and just float off with people.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 AM
5th Gear

The old steel hulls are whats in my price range, or I'd go for a newer, bigger boat. I can understand the transient thing, but the actual house I'm looking at (also whats in my price range) has the entire downstairs gutted. Not any better of a situation with the creepy factor. A season or two on this boat, if all my math is remotely close, will save me enough money to knock out a majority of my bills/loans (including the boat), which will put me in a better situation for borrowing money for a real house.
But... of the people i've mentioned the boat to locally, most like the idea, and there are at least 4 other houseboats in the marina this one is at, and there are 2 more marinas on the bay that I haven't even been in that I assume would have more, so I guess its not THAT out of place.

And you don't just 'sneak' out onto the lake at night with a 40' box, so i think the girls are safe.