Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'M STUPID...stickshift question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Default RE: I'M STUPID...stickshift question.

i just want to part of your thread Jenn
and you should of posted this in the A4 section

Old 06-17-2005, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

Panda..what's up with that...is the A4 the only audi with a manual transmission??? j/k...

Old 06-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

im just saying there would be more traffic so more people can jump on this thread

Old 06-17-2005, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: abacab

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

Panda..what's up with that...is the A4 the only audi with a manual transmission??? j/k...
WERD. that's why i posted it here cause i was like..."hmm..i could post this in the a4 forum..but other cars have manuals too"..and i didnt wanna hate...so i figure this was a good medium.

dude...cheng...it's okay..you can still post in this thread even tho you DONT have a manual tranny everybody wants to be where the partys at...speaking of which...WHO'S PARTYING THIS WEEKEND!?!?!

maybe i should start that in another thread...okay i'm going to right.......NOW...or maybe not...cause i'm kinda lazy.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: mamasaidA4

dude...cheng...it's okay..you can still post in this thread even tho you DONT have a manual tranny everybody wants to be where the partys at...speaking of which...WHO'S PARTYING THIS WEEKEND!?!?!
yes u dont have to rub it in

Old 06-17-2005, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

she's pretty funny LOL

Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear

didn't notice it was 2 pages [:@]

Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 PM
4th Gear

If a light is coming up and it's "RED" and I am lets say 3rd gear. I shift into NEUTRAL... brake.... then I am stopping I shift back into 1st gear. So i can get rdy to go when light is green.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Senior Administrator

NO! On lights that have *just turned* red, y hafta NAIL thre throttle and blow through the light so you don't hafta stop.

But, if yer gonna stop, yeah, you basically do it the way you described. 1st gear is generally only used for getting rolling from a dead stop. GRabbing 1st while rollin is a VERY advanced technique and kinda not good for your tranny...

Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mamasaidA4

so when you guys slow down..do you guys downshift or just go straight to neutral and brake all the way?

i used to just go straight to neutral and just cruise to a stop regardless of what gear i was...and then when i was testdriving my car...the dealer guy almost yelled at me when i did that saying how it was really bad for the car to do that..and that i should start downshifting..like 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd...then go to neutral..but never downshift to first..so i've been doing that now but the only problem is that i can't rev match yet..cause i still suck...so it gets kinda jerky when i downshift to 2nd...so to avoid that..i just stay in 3rd till i hit 1500rpms then i'll downshift to 2nd so it decreases the jerkiness then i stick it in neutral..

so i was just wondering what the best method was to slow down the car...or what everyone else does..i'm just worried about screwing up my transmission and my suspension by all the jerkiness and downshifting.

Well he is right your not supose to down shift to first. It could be that you put the car into First Gear before you came to a complete stop. If you accidentally let go of the clutch while slowing down and the car was in first that will deffinatly not be good. Thats the only reason i could think of him getting angry. Dont see anything wrong with leaving a car in neutral and slowing down. Then putting it in first once youve come to a complete stop.

Quick Reply: I'M STUPID...stickshift question.