Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'M STUPID...stickshift question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: I'M STUPID...stickshift question.

thanks everyone for all the advice and opinions...i think i just have to keep practicing in my everyday driving to overcome obstacles that i'm currently facing...but i'm sure i'll get a system that works for me and the type of driving i'm doing..

Old 06-17-2005, 03:57 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: mamasaidA4

thanks abacab....i'll read that fully when i'm at work and have 8 hours in front of a computer..
I'm, like, a trained professional speed-reader courtsey of teh Evelyn Wood Speed-Reading institute, and it only took me 2 hours to read it

I din't take the comprehension course, so I have NO idea what just stole 2 hours of my life...[&o]

Old 06-17-2005, 05:21 AM
2nd Gear

Heel-toe is kind of archaic because the pedals are much closer than they used to be. But anyway, its easier to use to toe side of your foot to cover both pedals (works for me). Put the 'big toe' through 'index toe' part of your foot (the ball too) on the brake, and 'middle toe' through 'pinkie toe' on the gas. Use the right side to jab the gas and the left side to apply adequite braking pressure.

I don't know if it was mentioned in the guide posted above, because I just skimmed it, but practice in your driveway or where ever with the car in nuetral the motions you would make for a heel-toe downshifting. Do this not only to get used to doing so much with your feet, but also to get an idea of how much you need to jab the gas for more revs. The faster you jab, the further in you need to push the pedal, while slower jabbing will need less pedal pressure.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:28 AM
2nd Gear

it might even 'crunch' if the synchro's capabilities are exceeded
Did that yesterday! I was going over the speed bumps on my street when it happened. It kind of suprised me because I usually lightly move it into position, but I wasn't paying too much attention to my hands.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:21 AM
5th Gear

wow, this is way too much for me to read...jenn, people flock to your threads like flies on ****, i wonder why that is.......anyway, it's not bad for your tranny to do that. you'll notice that you can't actually downshift into first until usually below 5mph, don't force it. but it's not bad to downshift from 5th to 3rd or 2nd or anything, as long as you're not dropping the clutch after shifting.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: bentframe

jenn, people flock to your threads like flies on ****, i wonder why that is...
She just happened to ask a question for a subject matter that we ALL happen to be experts on, in this case

Just do everything we tell you; even teh conflicting info, all at the same time and you'll be OK Jenn[8D]

Old 06-17-2005, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

hehehehe, i usually down shift mine down to third but lightly then put it in neutral and hit the brakes

Edit: **** was supposed to be Shift LOL

Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

wow, this is way too much for me to read...jenn, people flock to your threads like flies on ****, i wonder why that is......
i think it's because people are very helpful and are always down to help a dumb*ss in need..

Old 06-17-2005, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

One last thing. Go kick that dealer in the pickle. I hate those turds.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: mamasaidA4

wow, this is way too much for me to read...jenn, people flock to your threads like flies on ****, i wonder why that is......
i think it's because people are very helpful and are always down to help a dumb*ss in need..
MamasaidA4 asks good questions....and is appreciative of answers...by good questions I mean she gives you enough information to understand what she is trying to find out.

And sorry for the long long long long answer that I posted....might make for some good reading when you can't fall asleep.

Quick Reply: I'M STUPID...stickshift question.