Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Im going shooting for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 AM
Default Im going shooting for the first time

So my brotehr, dad and i have decied that we should learn to shoot a gun. So we are going to the local fring gange and gonna rent something to shoot (hand gun). What should i knwo before going? Any techniques i should use? I know alot of u have alot of weapons training.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Im going shooting for the first time

relax.

DON'T squeeze the trigger like you're tryin to extract juice from it. pull gently with the tip of your finger. when the weapon fires it should be somewhat of a surprise when it does (not a TOTAL surprise, after all that's what you're there for, right?)

when aiming, pretend that the long, pointy part of your weapon is an extension of your pointy-finger.

NO HORSE PLAY!!!

keep the business end of your weapon pointed down-rane AT ALL TIMES!!!

more to follow, gotta jump in the shower and go earn my days wages...

Old 08-23-2005, 10:51 AM

AWDaholic covered the most important thing which is safety. Make sure you have ear plugs and eye protection as well most places wont let you shoot without that. Make sure you are holding the gun very firm at all times as you dont want to drop it. I would reccomend starting with a smaller more user friendly gun in a smaller caliber like a 9mm. Then if you feel you want to move on to higher caliber's. Please dont go in there and rent a 50 cal Desert Eagle it will ruin your day. Your wrist will hurt for hours and you and everyone at the range will be deaf. Most people that rent it at my gun shop/range return it after 2 clips.

As for techniques you will have to find your own style. I tend to shoot in the 100's when i hold my breath while rapid firing. I think that has to do with me overthinking the aiming during slow, paced firing. at first hold the gun with 2 hands while firing just to understand the recoil and triggers fire point then try it with one hand and see if your comfortable with that. oh yeah when lining up the target you want the top of the sight on the barrel to point to just below the bullseye.

I almost forgot inspect the gun top to bottom. never fire a gun you feel isnt in 100 percent condition. The guy at the gun store shouldnt mind breaking it down and doing a quick cleaning on it.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear

more importantly, Don't turn into a freaky, survivalist, gun nut, with a notion of paranoia! You do not need to build your own bunker, and fill it with beans...

Old 08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Senior Administrator

OK, ignore RVD's comment about rapid-fire. That's NOT something you need to be thinking about, at this point. Maybe when you're ready to purchase and misuse your OWN weapon... But, not NOW! Everything else was on teh money. Always keep in mind at least these two things: 1) Handguns have only ONE real use, an dthat's to kill people. Yeah, yeah, target practice, yadda-yadda-yadda. Handguns are made to kill PEOPLE. No one goes hunting in teh woods with a S&W .22 six-shooter. 2) Even a small caliber handgun has teh kinetic energy of a compact automobile traveling at 30mph, condensed into something teh size of a bullet, LITERALLY! It's not EVER a toy.

Also, ONLY load teh weapon at your firing point. NOT BEFORE, not on teh way to, ONLY at the firing point! Clear teh weapon BEFORE you leave your firing point!

I'm certain that you'll receive a thourough safety briefing PRIOR to entering teh actual range, NEway, but some of this stuff bears repeating as often as you can.

Plus, what Toff said. Survivalists are a creepy, paranoid lot. Don't be creepy!

Old 08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

I love guns, they get me in trouble.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
6th Gear

Some people just shouln't possess/shoot guns. You come to mind when I think about that.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear

Can't see the point of it personally...

Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Toff_the_Toffee

Can't see the point of it personally...
Don't see the point of what? Owning/shooting guns?

Old 08-23-2005, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

Haha i agree with jest, its not for some people.

Quick Reply: Im going shooting for the first time