Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

if the big 3 go under

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by MYD WGN
104 octane is great for tuning ,just not practicle.For everyday it's no good
Not sure what you mean by practical. I hate making far more power for almost the same cost as pump. Its worth a good 20whp and 40wtq on a stock turbo 1.8t, even more on a larger turbo

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Most cars aren't turbocharged.E85 cost lest per gallon but is still very inferior for cost vs mileage return.Plus it is tied to food supply for it's production which in return raises food prices.It mostly comes from corn which takes a boat load of fertilizer which is no good for the environment thus making the green point mute.Here's a typical scenario done by Edmunds.
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/altern...3/article.html

Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm make believe

In most areas, E85 was ~= when the cost of gas went way up. Also, there is no point running it if the auto makers dont take account for its increase octane by increasing the overall timing. Im sure more people (even those driving malibus) wouldnt mind filling up more often with a renewable resource and gaining another 15% or so in power. They are no making Ethenol out of more things than just corn (which byproducts went to farms as feed) so food cost would not be affected.

However, this is OT here and kind of mute now since gas is $1.50-1.90/gal across the country and new oil reserve in S.A. out in the desert that claims to have more oil than all of Alaska by far.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Originally Posted by MYD WGN
I suggest you go back and read the article. Headlines are often very misleading, because the people that write most of these articles don't know how to summarize what they are trying to say.

Originally Posted by NY TIMES
The Ford deal follows a similar pact between Toyota and the Nissan Motor Company, which agreed in 2002 to license Toyota's gas-electric hybrid system for use in vehicles that Nissan plans to sell in the United States by 2006.

But Ford is leasing considerably less technology than Nissan. Although Toyota says it makes money on its hybrid vehicles, analysts say it may be a long time before hybrids are a significant source of income given the high cost of developing the vehicles and their relatively low sales volumes.
Like I said, Ford developed their system on their own, but when they realized the similarities, they said '**** it' and entered a patent sharing agreement so they wouldn't have to spend 10 years in court suing each other. Nissan is the one who decided not to even bother and just outright used the Toyota system.