Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

if the big 3 go under

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
, a HUGE number of people will be out of work..
They could go work for the foreign car companies that will be filling the void.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
5th Gear

Theres about 6 million jobs at risk, either directly, or indirectly, almost 4 percent of U.S. gross domestic product is auto-related, and vehicle manufacturing represents 10 percent of U.S. industrial production by value.

If 6 million people are all gonna switch to a foreign manufacturer, quite a few will be moving to that manufacturers home country, because theres NO WAY theres positions for them all within our borders.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by CLX
GM makes three cars, the Malibu, G6, and Astra. They are all the same car, designed to compete with the Camry, yet all three combined don't even come close to Camry sales. **** the big three, I hope they go to hell.
Think thats pretty much what they are going to cut out. Dont need 3, let alone 2 brands with the same line of cars. Dont see any of the foriegn companies compete with themselves. They only have a base brand and upper scale brand (Toyota-Lexis, Honda-Acura). GM doesnt need Chevy, Pontiac, and Saturn all competing with each other.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

I hope they consolidate them down and get rid of the retarded overbranding. Like Saturn/Pontiac/Buick

Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 PM

I think chrysler is the worst for copying cars (charger,seabring,advenger,magnum) so they can go away

As far as the people losing jobs. There will be any more jobs cut. You also have to take account for the factories they have in Canada and mexico close to half of gm and ford suv's/pickups are from canada.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm make believe

"so do you want the American car made in Canada, or the Japanese car made in America when you say you want an 'American' car?"

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear

I agree that it was a good business decision to get rid of Oldsmobile. I think GM should look at what their base-line best selling and most profitable cars are. For example, if the Malibu is comparable to the GrandAm, and they sell 80% more Malibus than Grand Ams, they should stop making the Grand Am. Ditto with the rest. Who cares if they buy a Chevy or GMC truck too since they are basically the same? They should consolidate the plants and cut the manufacturing costs. If GM would properly restructure, then they would have a better chance to become more competitive and more profitable than then the Japanese car companies.
With Chevy/GM/Cadillac/Pontiac/Buick - who needs that many choices when there are so many different interior and accessory options available for each model? A good stong marketing dept can pick up the slack in that dept.
I think they would be best off if the downsized to Chevy, Cadillac, and Saturn.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm make believe

i do believe the same cars are made on the same lines. But still, they have to pay 2 groups to make the same car with a different logo

Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 PM

I just don't wanna see the TT be as common as a cavalier or the R8 as common as a vett. Unless I had an R8!! Then I wouldn't give 2 *****

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

well, fortunately for you, the TT is running down its production years, and the R8 is a bit out of most peoples price range to be as common as a 'vette.