Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

I really need to vent, so bear with me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by headshok2002
You've no idea of the circumstances that fostered the pregnancy.
this argument holds no relevance. the fact is, assuming the women is mentally competant and not being raped, it was her choice to have sexual intercourse. she can always say NO! believe me, it happens to the best of us. have you ever been talked into doing something you didnt really think was a good idea? sure you have. everyone has. and whose fault was it? not the guy trying to talk you into something. it was your fault for giving into him. this is what we call a lesson! i hate how society believes they are all victims! an example of a victim is a jew living in germany around 1939. that is a victim. they had no say in their condition. a women being talked into having unprotected sex is not a victim. she had every chance to say no. for once i wish someone would talk responsibilty for their actions! getting an abortion because you decided to have unprotected sex is not taking responibility.

i like to add, however, men have just as much responsibilty as the women do. as they say, it takes two to tango.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM

I am not penalizing people for getting pregnant. The cost of a child through its dependable lifetime is far greater than a small fee or time devoted to volunteer work. I dont think that abortions are free to begin with, so making the cost a function of the frequency is not that drastic of change. Men are off the hook as it is now, so thats not really a new part of the plan, although men could be held accountable through dna tests. Anyway, I am not a policy maker. I am attempting to outline a compromise.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM
5th Gear

Redline, you are clearly quite an extremist about this topic.
So, you'd rather the 16 year old girl who got pregnant carry it to term? What if her or her family has no money? Multiply this problem by the thousands of teens who find themselves in the same situation. The country cannot support the orphans, and the girl cannot adequately support the child.
People make mistakes. It's a part of being human. They shouldn't have to pay for it for the rest of their lives. Maybe you should move to a country with full dictatorship... Apparently everything is black and white.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

Again.. Obama 'lectured' and wasnt a 'Professor'

The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer."

From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/media/index.html

Just to clear that up. Dont really wanna get in on the war though.

Talk about being ashamed. At that moment, I felt lower than ant ****.
You should be too. I spent 15 yrs in Germany and saw many actions like this. Pissed me off then, and pisses me off now. Its crap like this that helped shaped the worlds view of Americans.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

If there was a better way to target habitual behaviour... then maybe.
Do as they do every other 'its your right but we dont like it' behaviour - TAX IT. Something high, with the more you make the higher the tax. And make it so insurance cannot cover it. That'll get attention.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
5th Gear

Nothing like dealing with a sensitive topic with the sensitivity of a sledgehammer.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by headshok2002
Nothing like dealing with a sensitive topic with the sensitivity of a sledgehammer.
?? insensitivity? Where?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
sorry for the response but im drunk and in bed with a chew
Stereotypical Redneck Republican much???

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
5th Gear

The whole thing... chastising Palindari for his story was completely unnecessary. The guy told the story for a reason and admitted the shame he bears for his past actions. It was an example of somebody who can make a mistake in the past, and later grow as a person. I found the story very meaningful.
Then your TAX it comment... Unless that was satirical.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
4th Gear

I never said it was feasible... lol... just that it made sense, to some degree

The plans that have been presented here are too complicated to implement. Nothing is that black and white unfortunately - with a good lawyer you can change the color practically at will.

The idea that CPT Lyles had was looking at the standpoint of strictly population control - which unless we begin to migrate to other planets, this big old planet we call home will seem extremely smaller. The sad part is that this current depression will cause just another baby boom (albeit smaller than most - there will be a spike) and stricter measures will need to be implemented.

Personally, I dislike abortion, but I can't tell people how to live their lives either, so first trimester abortions seem the best alternative. All these suggestions require enforcement and hopes that people will abide.

Quick Reply: I really need to vent, so bear with me...