Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

I really need to vent, so bear with me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:46 AM
4th Gear

If you base your conclusions on one's verbage - a fail you got!

Born and raised American served in the Army (retired). College? About a year's worth of credits - but my days of academia are past me.

As for using Wikipedia? that's just readily accessible... dood

For the record - neither Washington or Eisenhower really wanted to be President. Both shunned politics, but none the less fell prey to their inherent need to serve their country.

And to be honest - I'm rather tired of the Obama hype - but I can also say - it's not of his doing. So I don't let it reflect on the man. Unlike most "celebrities" that promote themselves at any given moment, our President isn't out there to promote himself. He's representing our country's best interest.

Want to talk about a "wartime" President? guess what - you currently have one. Managing the mess of two fronts left behind by his predessesor.

LOL... and calling your own "burn"... you are drunk, dood

Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Palindari™
For the record - neither Washington or Eisenhower really wanted to be President. Both shunned politics, but none the less fell prey to their inherent need to serve their country.

And to be honest - I'm rather tired of the Obama hype - but I can also say - it's not of his doing. So I don't let it reflect on the man. Unlike most "celebrities" that promote themselves at any given moment, our President isn't out there to promote himself. He's representing our country's best interest.

Managing the mess of two fronts left behind by his predessesor.

LOL... and calling your own "burn"... you are drunk, dood
yes, i know neither of them wanted to become the head of state, but were both heros. i respect them the way i do my great grandfathers. I have never known them but their legacies live on nonetheless... They found themselves in a position in which to lead, not only the nation, but the country, government, and the ideals of Americans,

Secondly, Im glad your tired of the hype. That is the main reason for this thread. I cant stand the fact my/our president is on MTV and BET on a daily basis (we both know he isnt on these stations because he is president. Have you ever seen Bush [or Clinton if you wanna play hardball] on BET more than once a week?) And i sure as hell hope he is representing our best interest (or at least his version of OUR best interest)! Thats his ******* job! That what WE pay him to do!

As for the "managing the mess of two fronts" comment, i am assuming you are meaning Iraq and Afghanistan. I will get to Iraq in a minute but...

Afghanistan is 100% legit! Those sons of bitches hit us blindly and you cant can't really expect us, AMERICA for Christ sake, to just sit on the side lines and take one in the *** (I know it wasn't the Afghans who did it but rather the collaboration of the rogue Afghan government [the taliban] and terroists cells [namly Al Queda]). Really? Are we a nation that was formed apon the notion of pussyism?

As for Iraq, i (most likely) agree with your view that we should have never been there in the first place. That doesnt mean that i dont think that Saddam charcter wasn't a **** sucker. He should have been over-thrown by his own party (and yes, i know its called the bathe party. I know my ****). Unfortunatrly, we ended up there, but as long as we are there, we might as well kick *** at it and leave the Iraqi people with a place to call home.

as for the "your drunk, dood" comment, i lost my buzz. plus, somebody please correct me if im wrong, but i do believe its spelled "dude" (well, that is if there was possibly a way to spell slang correctly)

Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
-Does anybody else realize obama is a ******* celebrity?
-He has nothing going for him. I could be a better president.
-The only reason he got voted in is because he was the first serious black canidate. .
1) If you don't like entertainment pieces about him don't pay attention to it.. i find it annoying also.
2) You could be a better president? what are your qualifications? I probably wont vote for you.
3) Most people i know voted for him because they either agree with his policies or disliked Palin.

Aside from the bailouts I'm pretty happy with his performance thus far.
Oh.. and Wikipedia owns unless you are writing a term paper. Dissing Wikipedia = fail.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by BMF!
1) If you don't like entertainment pieces about him don't pay attention to it.. i find it annoying also.
2) You could be a better president? what are your qualifications? I probably wont vote for you.
3) Most people i know voted for him because they either agree with his policies or disliked Palin.

Aside from the bailouts I'm pretty happy with his performance thus far.
Oh.. and Wikipedia owns unless you are writing a term paper. Dissing Wikipedia = fail.
sorry for the abbreviated answer but im gettin quite tired...
1. Its hard not to pay attention when he is so popular he has made it into rap songs (as previously mentioned) and television shows (and i dont mean o'reilly or obermann. i mean the view, oprah, ect..).
2. Obviously i dont mean this in a literal sense. I am twenty years old and going to school for political science (you guys would really hate me if you knew what i wanted to do with it And of course you wouldnt vote for me if your defending Obama)
3. I got nothing wrong with somebody voting for Obama because they agree with him on the issues at hand. Voting for Obama because they are against Palin (why would you vote against the vice presdentail nominee) is wrong. Either find a candidate you agree with or just dont vote for the position!
As far as the "unless your writing a term paper" comment, bring either support or oppostion to committee (that would be a congressional committe) and site wikipedia as your source, anyone, no matter their stance the bill, and they (the committee members) will laugh in your face and tell you to go back to your hometown. Ill admit i use wikipedia on a daily basis, but you cant bring that knowledge into an argument. It simply isnt reliably credible

Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Legal Moderator

also it seems those against me have more residual support... Come on guys! Someone throw me a bone!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 AM
1st Gear

That's unfortunate that The View, Oprah, and rap are unavoidable for you.

Last edited by BMF!; 04-08-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Legal Moderator

those choices were mainly meant as examples because of their celebrity status as well meaning even when i watch espn, they talk about those bitches on the view!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
also it seems those against me have more residual support... Come on guys! Someone throw me a bone!
Bro, mate, friend, dude, buddy (pick which one you like ), I'm not against you - farthest from it!

But you blow on to here bashing the one guy trying to piece together our country simply because he's popular. Curious, ask yourself if someone like Tom Hanks became President (which could happen - the man knows a good deal about politics) would you feel the same? Not to call you a racist - but he does come from a different cloth...

You degrade a man's accomplishments (8 yrs state senator, 2 yrs US senator, constitutional law professor) to justify your anger and claim you're more qualified...? you haven't even finished school.

So who are you to judge? You want support? Support the guy that's trying to work this out. Look closer at the man, not the hype (which is getting tiresome, but oh well) and you may find someone that you may agree with in principal at least.

Mark my words - things will change. Just like 9/11 and all the flags I saw waving - nothing like that now exists. All this minority support will deminish - especially when the handouts they believe they will get doesn't materialize - and things will be more even keeled.

Personally, I see him as the presidential equivalent of the Yankees. People hate them because they are the best and recruit the best and cheer when they fail at winning a World Series. But you do have to still admit they are good at playing ball.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Legal Moderator

First and formost I started this thread because i did what i needed to do; vent. Aside from that...
Obama is far from being the only man trying to get the country back on track (this is the kind of sentiment that hightens his so called "mystique"). Last I checked there are 535 (well, minus one, from my state) members of congress who, in the long run, have way more power than the president has or ever will have. Thats what really pisses me off is that the whole country places the president on a pedistal when in reality he only has one third the power. He can be overridden at any time! And thats why i am so dismayed by his celebrity! How can people care that much? As for tom hanks becoming president, thats way different. I dont know his political ideology (i believe he is quite liberal, but could be wrong), but he would be a celebrity before his presidential bid. Obama is a celebrity because of his bid/victory. I mean they make ******* t-shirts with his face on it as if he were some kind of hero!
I do acknowledge his accomplishments. He has had a good run so far in politics. The fact is I believe he is completely unqualified to be president (yes I know he meets constitutional requirements). His accomplishments, although coming along nicely, lack the experience of most other presidents past (the major exception being kennedy, but we already discussed I believe he was underqualified too, being a feshman senator and all). Another good point is that all but two years of Obama's experience was gained completely in Illionis. Only being in the U.S. Senate for two years doesn't give him appropriate qualifications to run the country IMO.
And no, i simply will not agree with Obama most of the time. Our idelologies are simply drastically different. I applaud him taking the position. I even have respect for him, but only because he is my president and he is a human being. thats the only respect i give him.
The last point i believe is very valid. I have a feeling that minority voting (which is usually very low) was very high (in comparison) this last election for reasons you already mentioned. Although i havent looked at voter turnout figures yet.
I look at him as a honda civic. Terrible car imo, wouldnt be caught dead buying one. but hey, after all it is still transportation.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
5th Gear

People have a right to be excited about Obama... after having put up with 8 years of crap.
The bailout has created a shitty situation, but you're a poli-sci major (in what, 2nd year?), not an economist. There's no way Obama can be perfect as he tries to clean up the mess he's been handed, but to bash him supports no good end. Maybe you should be happy that your country is so excited with its new leader. It's patriotism... isn't that a good thing?

As for Wikipedia... yeah, 2nd year college dude, we all know that you'd not get away with citing it for a term paper... but we're on a public forum (a fecking car forum) talking politics. I think Wikipedia is the best bet if we're going to cite anything... as it is fairly abbreviated and easy to follow. If you have an issue with it, feel free to peruse the references at the bottom of every Wiki page, and let us know if you can poke some holes in it. I don't see any of us posting pdf's of peer reviewed articles anytime soon.

Quick Reply: I really need to vent, so bear with me...