Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

I have a cunundrum and would like your input

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
6th Gear
Default I have a cunundrum and would like your input

so I'm bored as ***** right now and figured I'd ask AF for some help on a project I'm going to be undertaking in a few weeks.

So in a few weeks we are having a highlighter/graffiti party at my house and I wanted to do something off the chain ridiculous that hasn't been done at the ski club for a long time, so I'm making an Ice luge.

here is the problem though, I understand how to make one don't worry but I have some features I want to add and am not sure how I should go about doing it.

1) I want to run the liquor through the block instead of on top of the block like some luges so I need to figure out some flexible tubing that I would be able to get out of the block after I freeze it, or am I just going to have to use some clear tubing and leave it in there which would also help with not enlarging the hole while drinks go through it. Which one do you think would look better/perform better.

2) I want to find some way to set glow sticks in the luge also, I was thinking I would just make two tunnels that run down the side that you could then throw glow sticks into.

3) anything else cool you can think of?

Last edited by CAB509; 01-21-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
4th Gear

i think running a clear tube would be your best bet. as for the glow sticks, they dont always have to run straight up and down. could always drill some angles and what not

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator

LEDs bro A few high-output ones would probably light the whole thing up

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
4th Gear

brake open the glowsticks and freeze them in the ice blocks (if your making your own ice blocks that is...)

Josh

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by theTTkid
i think running a clear tube would be your best bet. as for the glow sticks, they dont always have to run straight up and down. could always drill some angles and what not
That's a good idea.

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
LEDs bro A few high-output ones would probably light the whole thing up
I don't want to run electrical through it and I want fun trippy colors

Originally Posted by ThePaintballGuy
brake open the glowsticks and freeze them in the ice blocks (if your making your own ice blocks that is...)

Josh

Of course I'm making my own Ice block and do you think it would still glow if I poured glowsticks into the ice mixture and would it be toxic??

Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

I wasn't completely serious about the LEDs - too much hassle. Are you talking about the glow sticks that you crack and shake to make glow? If so, I wonder whether the illumination will die off before the block is fully frozen (if you're putting them inside the block of ice). Not sure how long they glow and how big a block of ice you're looking at, but the illumination time is something to consider if they're the crack-open type of glow stick.

If they're going along the outside, then no sweat, but in the block, they may burn out before it's ready to use, or before the end of the party.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
5th Gear

i've nvr seen one wtf. i gonna have to do that too.

well i have many good ideas. get some tubing large enough to fit a small funnel. to take out the tube out, run some hot water through it. it'll thaw ice just enough to get the tube out. if you're not making your own block, drill some holes through the block and put lights in. use a bit jsut large enough for an LED or glow stick or w/e. jsut wrap the glow stick with saran wrap. also try some dye in the ice, it might make it colorful

Last edited by hiwords; 01-21-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
6th Gear

I'm gonna make channels so I can drop glow sticks in there, I am not gonna freeze them in there when I make the block.

and hi-words, they are fun to do, you should make one too.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM
4th Gear

where do you get your ice block from?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by theTTkid
where do you get your ice block from?

my sink, I'm gonna freeze my own probably but any ice shop will have a block you can buy too.

Quick Reply: I have a cunundrum and would like your input