Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

I call bullsheet!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
4th Gear
Thumbs down I call bullsheet!

Is this reverse racism?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519965,00.html

That's what it smells like to me...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, it kind of is...
But it's kind of an affirmative action thing, too.
4000 people have signed up. There's probably that many racists who avoid black stores for far less defensible reasons.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
4th Gear

Perhaps...

But here's the rub, that's their choice. Not a national movement to shop based on racial preference.

I can care less if they do it. But do it quietly. For if you pronounce your intentions to be racially biased - that's wrong - that tactic has been proven so in many a court of law...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
4th Gear

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for racial equality.

But isn't this self segregation? Before you know it we'll start seeing "Only Blacks" signs posted on store front doors?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM

I just read that article this morning...

Its certaintly not racism, but its defintely discrimination. And is grossly hypocritical for a group that has blamed discrimination for much of its problems to promote and pracrice discrimination in their daily lives.

But I do tend to agree with the premise that the black community should take action to remedy the problems that are specific to it. This movement does not involve government legislation. It encourages people to use thier freedeom of choice to patronize stores that have historically struggled. It involves personal sacrifice for the sake of the greater good of the community. And these are commendable ideas.

However, they risk compromising the most basic principle of ignoring the color of someone's skin. And therefore they are sacrificing principle for the sake of promoting business.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM
4th Gear

Okay, not racism per se... but if you start discriminating on the basis of race it's still wrong.

If you want to come out and say "Buy from your local community retailers!" that's one thing, "Buy Black" is quite another.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM

concur

Unfortunatley in order to create a "fair" society discrimination has become acceptable. Affirmitive action is a good example of this. I think it dilutes the cause of color-blindness to lobby for legislation that is based on skin color. It is disingenuous to say that equality should be acheived by creating laws that treat people as unequal.

Last edited by AutoUnionFan; 05-13-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Guru

I just believe that going about their business like that labels them as self-righteous self-indulgent **** knockers. If white people did that there would be public outrage. Equality is a feel-good bed time story and you all know it.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
4th Gear

Equality has the same chance to work as the "free market" system does. but other factors like bigotry and greed hamper them greatly.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 PM

The problem with the phrase "all men are created equal" is that it is taken out of context. Obviously, everyone is not born with equal abilities and equal resources. The phrase is intended as a response to divine right that was used by kings to justify their position as above the law and answerable to no one but god.

Quick Reply: I call bullsheet!