Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

How Obama Got Elected

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 PM

i like how in that video they just bash peter and everything he says, wow don't they feel dumb now, he seen this coming for a long time and no one believed him.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
We shouldnt make it a Repubs vs Dems discussion. Nor am I complaining about Obama being elected. My point is that people who choose the president are largely misinformed.

The 12 people shown in the video were chosen by a black woman and described as being most able to articulate their opinions, having strong opinions, etc. Most of them probably have above average intelligence. Of the 512 people interviewed in the Zogby poll, 55% are college grads. atleast 57% of the 512, did not know the Dems control congress (50% chance to guess right).

Anyways, I am just repeating what is in the link.

IMO this supports the claim of media bias. These people depend upon biased sources for their info and it shows.
Nothing against you, mate, I take umbrage against those that try to slant how any outcome comes about.

The website is howobamagotelected.com - not wastherebiasinthemedia.com or didthemediashapetheelection.com - it was how-obama-got-elected.com as if this "bias" in the media is how he got the job. Not that he's capable and intelligent enough to do it. It was some outside influence - in this case the biased media - that brainwashed those that voted for him.

In the case of the 2000 election - it was the "biased" US Supreme Court that gave GW Bush the job. That's all I heard for the first 10 months - that is until 9/11 hit - then the issue was dropped - yet some still clung to the belief.

Granted the average voter votes on his feelings - Reagan was great at getting you to believe in him - and not with their minds, but to put the onus on the media (left or right leaning) is ludicris, gives them far too much credit and just another way to taint an elections outcome.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM

No need to put words in my mouth. The media is obviously bias. If you dont beleive me, then read some of the articles I have linked here or show me some evidence against it.

But in no way am I trying to say that the media is the reason why Obama is president. I named the thread what I did becasue 1) i knew it would attract attention, 2) its the name of the documentary. The media is a factor and will continue to remain one. And yes the website is biased. But I never said it wasnt. Do you think liberals would make a video like this? I am just saying that Obama was not necessarily chosen for all of the right reasons as some would want to think. There seems to be a real celebrity about Obama, and I thought it would be nice to talk about something more down to earth. People respond like I am using this one stupid video as a base for all of my conclusions.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Site Moderator

People are responding to you according to how you titled the thread. "How Obama Got Elected" may be the name of the site where you directed us to view the videos, but when you name the thread "How Obama Got Elected," it is as if you are in full agreement. I like how you bring up questions and want to discuss sensitive political subjects, but your angle or approach is off or something

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
No need to put words in my mouth. The media is obviously bias. If you dont beleive me, then read some of the articles I have linked here or show me some evidence against it.

But in no way am I trying to say that the media is the reason why Obama is president. I named the thread what I did becasue 1) i knew it would attract attention, 2) its the name of the documentary. The media is a factor and will continue to remain one. And yes the website is biased. But I never said it wasnt. Do you think liberals would make a video like this? I am just saying that Obama was not necessarily chosen for all of the right reasons as some would want to think. There seems to be a real celebrity about Obama, and I thought it would be nice to talk about something more down to earth. People respond like I am using this one stupid video as a base for all of my conclusions.
perhaps - but you still put it up front and center, mate.

Hell, the media has influenced everything from elections to war throughout history. But the video acts like this is the chief factor.

And what's wrong with being popular? You act like just because there's a certain amount of "celebrity mystique" about a person - they cannot be trusted. If that were the case George Washington would never have become the first and could have ran indefinately had he not stepped down on his own accord (he really didn't relish the idea, but did so out of duty - probably the only one that didn't seek out the job). His "celebrity" status helped him become the first President - and the only one - to win unanimously. Why? Because he was so damn popular - that's why.

Eisenhower never would have become President, but due to his "celebrity" status as a Supreme Commander during WW2 and we won - sure helped. - Like Washington, he never held political office - ever and honestly didn't relish the idea of becoming President -was he unqualified ? Obviously not.

Look at JFK. He had young girls swooning in his time and barely squeeked out a victory over Nixon. Was his "celebrity" status an issue? Doesn't seem to be.

True, you have your opinion, as well does anyone here. But to judge a person on such shallow criteria is not wise. I challenge you take the time to go to your local library and perhaps read one of Obama's books (The Audacity of Hope is a good choice) and then see if you feel the same. I've read the links and all have some points, but the fact remains - people (a majority of them) believed in Obama more.

Or stay narrow minded and continue to feel that Americans were duped. It's your call.

Only time will prove any of us right or wrong

Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Guru

Everyone shut up! Your all wrong!! Obama got elected using MAGIC!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM

^ Would that have been black magic?

Sorry bad joke!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Palindari - Keep calling me narrow minded and we will see how productive this conversation becomes. Even better how you compare Obama to three war heroes, two of which are legendary generals. Lets see, we have Obama the lawyer, then we have a hero of the revolutionary war and a hero of wwII. Sorry my narrow mind cant quite understand the soundness of your reasoning. Before critisizing me and my methods, take some time to understand what I am really saying, or not saying.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
4th Gear

Well, mate, maybe I should have said "narrowly focused"? lol

Guy, there is no productive conversation here. Just grousing over the outcome where your man didn't win. You're just trying to belabor a point that is not only irrelevant - but is now rendered moot as well.

On the History Channel they had an excellent series called "The Presidents" each episode highlighted 4 to 5 Presidents. You could learn a great deal from them as I did. Media - back then was only print - always backed a candidate. Produced unflattering cartoons characitures of who they were against and mostly inaccurate (sometimes blatantly lied).

My reference to Washington, Eisenhower, and Kennedy - were to prove a point. The first two didn't want to become President - but they enjoyed HUGE celebrity status. Kennedy actually was pushed by his father (but that's another story). Kennedy - like Obama - wrote a great book, Profiles In Courage - great read you should check that out as well. He enjoyed a huge celebrity following.

Here's one point I learned from that History Channel show - Washington had this beautiful white horse that would accompany him on state trips. It trotted behind the carriage the Washington rode in. When they came upon a town that they would pass through - Washington would mount the steed and gallop into town. It was a brilliant display.

Now if that's not playing up your "celebrity" I don't know what is! lol...

To be honest, you may have some truly valid points - but right now it just comes across as sour grapes. Just like the Democrats b!tching about hanging chads and the countless recounts. They even went so far as to go back and do a recount and you know what? Bush did win with a narrow margin - if I recall correctly.

Obama's biggest asset was that he wasn't a reactionary. McCain was. Almost every week he had some plan that didn't hold water, some accusation that was ludicris, some stance that was unnecessary.

Obama played it neutral - to some maybe he was too cool.

But he won. End of story. Another election gone and now in the history books.

Quick Reply: How Obama Got Elected