Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

How do i make firefox my default browser?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How do i make firefox my default browser?

ORIGINAL: cary12

I've never heard of anyone that uses it? Is it used as a faster dial up connection or a faster cable connection as well? I have cable and can't see where it could be any faster?
By "faster" people mean in terms of memory use. If your connection speed is causing the bottleneck, Firefox won't appear any faster, but if your computer has 256MB or lower memory you'll definitely see the difference, mostly in load time. However, the newer Firefox (1.5+ especially) are not actually as slim as the older ones because of all their features. If you're interested in straight-up speed, you should check out K-Meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net). It uses the same engine as Firefox and is equally free, but more stripped down.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: audi82

It sounds like not a default browser problem, but more of a file type association problem. Right click on the file, Open with, Choose Program..., then make sure that when you choose Firefox you check the box that says "Always..."

Also, now that you have Firefox, you need some extensions:
Add Forecast to Status Bar
Tab Browsing Preferences
Music Controls

There are some pretty good search engines for the top right box too: Search Engines
Those extensions are ******* awesome! Thanks for the links!

I've been rocking the Fox since the Wired article. Probably eight months ago.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear

Firefox rules, I have been using it for about a year now. If you have any pages that wont work with Fox or just pages that would work better with IE you should download this extension:

IE Tab Extension