Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

How about some class?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:55 PM
1st Gear
Default How about some class?

There are certain cars that I feel just deserve certain things. If you drive a classy car, why not, well, look a little less trashy? I don't mean wear kakis and polos all of the time, but some things are just not right.

Saw a G35 the other day. Very nice looking car. Kid driving it...huh? Looks a little young, but oh well. I am guessing his age to be about 20, tops.We end up in the same parking lot and I glance over to see him get out. He is wearing a Atlanta Falcons hat on crooked, wearing a dirty wife beater and his shorts hanging so far down, he has what I call the parachute affect with his boxers going on. He gets out, looks around to see who is watching, hits the alarm button, gives another glance, then walks into the store.

What bugs me is that people are so in to their cars, that they take better care of them thanthey take care of themselves. I suppose people think they will get respect because of the things they own. I hear it all of the time too, "I don't care what people think about how I look", but they get more bent out of shape when people say something about their car.

This seems to be a pretty consistant thing in America in general too. it seems like we are the only culture who care more about how our car looks than how we ourselves look.

Does anyone agree?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: How about some class?

ehh.....whatever

--E

Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, I was telling myself the other day that I need to care less about my car. I bought my new wheels, and was thinking... really, what do these do for me? I love how the car looks... but how important is that, really?
I guess cars are a hobby, and I can rationalize it that way... but it's true that North America has a problem with how much importance they place on material things.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:03 AM
6th Gear

Every body has their own opinions and that is what makes this country great. I personally do not totally agree with yours but I can see where you are coming from and can respect that.

Just know that to me you are coming off as extremelysnobbish aristocrat with that comment. Also are you insinuating that only older gentlemen/ladies are able to afford and drive such luxury cars as Infiniti and Audi? If you are I also do notpersonally agree with that comment.

I do believe though also that for the most part we American's are plagued by materialism brought on by celebrities and trying to obtain their status in life. American's also IMO are becoming increasingly more lazy .

Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 AM
5th Gear

I don't think he was saying that only rich people should be able to drive these cars... or even that people who have these cars need to spend an equally proportioned amount on looking wealthy themselves...
What I got from his comment is that people are literally using their cars as like an extension of themselves. Sounds like this punk got out of his car, looked around hoping some people would notice him getting out of his G35, locked it up, and swaggered about his day. People make no effort to present themselves as good people... they just make sure that they get noticed with their shiney possessions.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:20 AM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

I don't think he was saying that only rich people should be able to drive these cars... or even that people who have these cars need to spend an equally proportioned amount on looking wealthy themselves...
What I got from his comment is that people are literally using their cars as like an extension of themselves. Sounds like this punk got out of his car, looked around hoping some people would notice him getting out of his G35, locked it up, and swaggered about his day. People make no effort to present themselves as good people... they just make sure that they get noticed with their shiney possessions.

I can agree to that but couldn't you also argue that we would fall into this catagory somewhat, I mean we modify our cars so that they are individual from another persons, and while we probably don't get out in every parking lot with a whole "I'm here, look at me!!! thing" you can not say that you do not feel good when somebody compliments you on your car and what you have done to it?

I do agree that there are some people out there that see there car as a way to show that they are better then the next person becuase there car is worth more. Those people I do not like and If we are talking about that type of person than I totallt agree with him in his point.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

The most vital thing to remember is that it is a right that everybody has as long as no rules have been broken.

The simple fact of life is that, whatever people may say, we judge, or I should say I since I do not want to imply that other people think alike, judge on what people wear or drive. I judge the book on its cover. Of course, it is inevitable since until I actually talk to the person and know more about them, this is the only thing information I have in order to make my judgment.

To summarize, he has the right to dress the way he wants and drive what he wants and I have my right to believe he is buffoon, a wantabe for it and you know what? Life goes on and if dressing the way they do and driving their car makes them happy, good for them!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

I see what you are saying and I did not mean that he shouldn't be able to afford such a car. I have been to other countries, Germany included, and people there take much more pride in how they look.

It seems like people really do think that their carsmake the man, errr, or woman. I like my car and it is a hobby for me, along with motorcycles, but I do not worship them and spend more time cleaning them than I do my own clothing and myself.

I guess opinions are like rear ends...everyone has them and they all stink.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

I for one take pride in the way my vehicle looks and I love the compliments i get on it. I really love how some people see the rings on the hood and automatically think I have money. Its really funny because where I work everyone has big trucks and motorcycles and everything. They all think I am rich or something, not knowing I paid like 8gs for my Audi and they paid like 30gs+ for their huge silverados and titans. I hate to admit it, but I probably do keep my car looking better than I do. I dont wear dirty clothes or (even worse) wife-beaters though!! I just don't care as much about having 70 dollar shirts or 100 jeans. I will wear whatever I like.