Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hookah Smokers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
4th Gear
Default Hookah Smokers?

Anybody else here into smoking hookah? A lot of the people I hang with smoke, I think between everyone we've got like six or seven hookahs. My favorite flavor mix is Apple with a little bit of Mint on top of it.

Here's my hookah; a really good friend of mine visited Cairo a couple years ago and brought this back for me. And no, I've never used it for anything other than flavored tobacco.

I was thinking it'd be cool if anyone else on here smokes hookah, let's trade tips! Self-lighting charcoal or clean stick charcoal? Tips for filing the vase? Tricks for loading the bowl and keeping the smoke from getting harsh? Fun crap to do while smoking?

Let's hear it!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Site Moderator

I've smoked a handfull of times, we got a couple hookah bars here in sacramento which are kinda cool to hang out every now and then, but im not big into the hookah scene. I did try something like an apple pommagranate which was pretty good.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Site Moderator

Edit: Damn double post.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM
4th Gear

I smoked many many times, in various mind states.. I just like ******* with the smoke, something to do

Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 PM
5th Gear

I'm a big Hookah guy. Only have a cheap little thing though. I have a friend in Istanbul, who I'll eventually go and visit once I have money for a plane ticket. I hope to get a little more authentic hookah while Im over there.

Usually stick with mint/vanilla, or a combination of the two. Not big on the fruity ones... May try apple/mint now that you mentioned it.

Not many tips I can think of, be cool to hear some though. Sometimes I add ice to the water, but thats nothing new or crazy.

Oh, one tip maybe... if your charcoal is cheap/old, and its got a little moisture in it where it wont really light, squirt a little zippo fluid on it. Just like lighting the charcoal on a grill.

Oh, and I have a little pair of needlenose pliers that I use to hold the coal up in the air until I see its done its initial burn across the bottom charcoal, rather than setting it down in bowl/what have you where the sheesha is gonna suck the heat out of it and make it burn uneven.

And its totally lame that I gotta smoke by myself, because NOBODY i know smokes the Hookah.

Last edited by achTTung; 09-28-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Guru

If I lived in Vermont I would smoke the Hookah with you. I've always wanted to try but finding time is a bitch.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 AM
5th Gear

several times. then i start making smoke bubbles and watch it explode as it hits the floor. matt, you "know" me and i smoke hookah. come down and visit sometimes again lol.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Zombie Defense Force

try adding some milk to the water. when i smoke a lot of hooka freshman year we ran 60-70% milk and the rest water to keep the milk from bubbling. we tried everything from beer, vodka, rum, everclear, you name it we tried it. milk sounds strange but it works well.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff
try adding some milk to the water. when i smoke a lot of hooka freshman year we ran 60-70% milk and the rest water to keep the milk from bubbling. we tried everything from beer, vodka, rum, everclear, you name it we tried it. milk sounds strange but it works well.
Why milk?

Anyways, I've recently tried this "herbal" non-tobacco hookah. I've never had anything like it. Such heavy smoke... I love it, but some say it hurts. My g/f introduced it to me, and I'm now a huge fan. I love the fruity stuff, or fruity mixed with mint. Also, Starbuzz makes a "Christmas Mix" that is really good when drinking cider or beer. I go to a "head shop" to try new flavors every once in a while.

Tips for heavier smoke: use foil around the bowl and only poke holes where the charcoal goes. And don't poke them all the way through the mixture, just into the foil. Also, don't pack the stuff down, just leave it all light and fluffy, with the foil not touching it, that way you just get hot air flowing around it and it "burns" smoother, and with more flavor. Keep the water REALLY cold so that the smoke is very smooth.

I like a carbonated fruit soda in the base so that you increase the flavor in the smoke. But you have to lower the level of the liquid so you don't get it in the hose. And you ALWAYS have to clean it out afterward to keep it from getting weird flavors.

Cool thread, btw.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Zombie Defense Force

Originally Posted by Gigantor
Why milk?
I donno it was just something we tried and liked.

Quick Reply: Hookah Smokers?