Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

help me out here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: help me out here!!!

all i have to say is glad im going to college that doesnt require a physics class

Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: veloracer

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

^^that assumes the rope is taut, which isn't stated. 3/4 meter could be with teh weight only circling at 1/2 speed, or full speed. We don't know. The radius is given, but not teh lenght of the rope.
The length of the rope would be 0.75m... same as the radius
ONLY if the rope is swinging around FAST enough. At FULL veloccity (which, previously noted, isn;t provided), YES the length could be .75 meters. If the velocity is insufficient to extend teh weight FULLY, then the .75 radius does NOT necessairly represent teh lentgh of teh rope.

You should go Audi-slap (ahem: If your PIMP-hand is Audi-STRONG, you will never hafta raise it) your instructor for not being explicit enough in providing FULL disclosure in his/her equations

Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

Remind me of the formulas and I'll solve it.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: marko_tomas13

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

^^that assumes the rope is taut, which isn't stated. 3/4 meter could be with teh weight only circling at 1/2 speed, or full speed. We don't know. The radius is given, but not teh lenght of the rope.
You're usually assuming the rope is taught with these problems.
You also assume ropes are massless, you can't push with a rope, and that they don't flex or twist.
when there exists teh possibility that ambiguity can absolve me from having to think too hard about teh answer to a question, I *NEVER* assume. If I'm to assume the rope is taut I can very well add sufficient assumptions that permit teh answer to be 12.

ahem: ANSWER = 12

massless or not, you CAN push a rope. Oh, it'll clump up on you, but, I can *push* a pile of rope as easily as I can push a pile of steeming poo.

if I need to push a rope at FULL extension, I can also add in an assumption that the ambient temprature is -100c, which should freeze most rope. of course, you could counter with an assumption that the rope is 1-mile thick, which means I'll need to drop the temprature assumption considerably to freeze it stiff, OR, assume teh rops is made of merangue, which, may or may not freeze solid at -100c & 1-mile thick...

If you want a precise answer give me PRECISE PARAMETERS

Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

lol, i didnt know people were actually going to try to help me out. i knew the answers, i was just lettingyou have some quality fun!! yes the rope fully extended and taut is .75 m. its alot easier to understand whenyou are looking at the little diagram, i couldnt get it on the computer.

no, you do notneed to know time, the equation for the first one is w= change in theta/theda over change in time which in rotation is1 sec. dont ask quesitions,just accept that it is 1 sec, i assume that is to be expected. the second equation is w*r=Vt and i dont remember the third on because finals are over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

thank you everyone

Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear

and now back to the keg bong?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: scotts custom

lol, i didnt know people were actually going to try to help me out. i knew the answers, i was just lettingyou have some quality fun!! yes the rope fully extended and taut is .75 m. its alot easier to understand whenyou are looking at the little diagram, i couldnt get it on the computer.

no, you do notneed to know time, the equation for the first one is w= change in theta/theda over change in time which in rotation is1 sec. dont ask quesitions,just accept that it is 1 sec, i assume that is to be expected. the second equation is w*r=Vt and i dont remember the third on because finals are over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

thank you everyone
Assume a 1 second rotation? ... I've never heard of assuming such things. Weird. The problem goes from impossible to stupid-easy... just plug in the #'s and your done. Durrr...
That question seems odd. Are you sure they weren't asking for answers expressed without #'s... like leaving a T value in there, and just showing HOW it'd be solved? Weird stuff.
Anyhow, my finals are over too. Wooo!