Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

help me out here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: help me out here!!!

it's always the Butler - I don't like that Col Mustard - I mean of all the charaters he's the only trained assasin, right?!?!?

Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Miss Scarlet = Hawt!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 PM

You're still missing a time component. Velocity is a rate of change of position. Speed and direction are both required to figure out velocity. Since speed is defined as a change in distance per unit of time, the problem can't be completed as stated. Anyways, I have much more important things to get to, such as how to balance a compressor off of a 60-year-old turbine engine.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: scotts custom

alright so im bored and im "studying" for finals, so ill let you see if you can figure out any of this stuff that i have to learn in a few hours time. I got a lot more, so if you happen to know this stuff and want to work your brain, dont be scared to ask..

lets see...

A .2kg ball is tied to a rope and swung around in the air in a circular path (like a lasso if you will) and its radius of rotation is .75 meters,

1) what is its angular velocity, 2) tangential velocity and 3) the tension force on the rope?

dont have too much fun!!!
I remember doing this 2 years ago in my senior physics class. Use the angular velocity formula to find out the angular velocity but I believe you may need the time for that (gotta check my formula sheet which I don't have on me cause i'm not at home).

There should be one that allows you to disregard time. What class is this for and are you using the angular quantities or using the [T.C.] directional trick to bypass needless calculation?

Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

Well, you know it's going fast enough to overcome the force of gravity so....

Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Administrator

^^that assumes the rope is taut, which isn't stated. 3/4 meter could be with teh weight only circling at 1/2 speed, or full speed. We don't know. The radius is given, but not teh lenght of the rope.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

^^that assumes the rope is taut, which isn't stated. 3/4 meter could be with teh weight only circling at 1/2 speed, or full speed. We don't know. The radius is given, but not teh lenght of the rope.
The length of the rope would be 0.75m... same as the radius

Old 12-19-2007, 02:46 PM
5th Gear

I'd like to know the answer to this problem. I do feel you need a time component.

The guy who said "there should be an equation that doesn't need time" or whatever... I think you are thinking of the constant acceleration equations. Although... maybe they can be applied to rotation. Sometimes...

Old 12-19-2007, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

You're usually assuming the rope is taught with these problems.
You also assume ropes are massless, you can't push with a rope, and that they don't flex or twist.