Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help me choose my Audi; I need your expertise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Smile Help me choose my Audi; I need your expertise

Thanks for looking!
I'm ready to jump up to a premium brand and Audi seems to be the best choice but I need some help choosing which specific model/year/engine. I'm an experienced mechanic and track racer, so I don't mind a little work here and there, but I want to avoid any major hassles. I know you guys know what models to avoid or look for, so, here are my requirements; (looking for used and affordable btw)

1. Avant - gotta have the space
2. fast-ish (just not a dog) Doesn't necessarily need to be an "S", but it will probably be best.
3. reliable engine; I'm going to put a lot of miles on
4. under $18,000, preferably under 15k
5. Not a requirement, (don't flame me) but decent gas milage. Just do better than my v8 pickup, that's all.
6. Allroad? what engine/year?

Big question: is there a big difference between the 4 and 6 avants size wise, or in any other big way?

Manual or automatic doesn't matter, year doesn't matter.
Right now i'm looking at a few s4 from aroun 02-04, and a couple S6 in the same range. milage is usually 115k to 150k

Is the turbo something to avoid at this mileage?
Which engines suck?
what mileage do these things go to the scrap yard?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Senior Administrator

Welcome to the party!!!

BIG answer: There IS a difference, but, I don't know what you consider a "big difference." I've never owned either of those two, but I have shopped around them, years ago. I'd recommend visiting your closest Audi Stealership and ask to compare them.

IIRC, the S4's from that year range were either the 2.7L TT-V6s, or the 4.2L NA-V8. S6's were 4.2L NA-V8s across that year range. If gas mileage matters, you're GONNA want the 2.7L-TT. Maybe troll the S4 section, to see what you can glean from other peoples' posts on that option.

The 4.2L V8's are great on gas mileage, for their size. BUT, it's a V8. If you have children (plurl) you KNOW what a hassle having MORE mouths to feed is and how expensive it can get.

Being a mechanic, it you're thinking that you might want to mod for MOAR POWAAA!!!, in teh future, the TT-V6 is still the answer. Again, never owned one, but I've been around this (and other Audi) forum(s) for years and from what I read, the engine is fairly bullet-proof, for a european engine (not many are), provided you take care of it, and decentlt moddable.

As for longevity, again, if it were me, I'd troll the S4 section, to see what others are complaining about, at what mileage-markers.

Added suggestion:
Check the General Tech section. A few of our guys are actual Audi wrenches, and post in there quite frequently. You'll quickly figure out who's a ne0b and who's a KNOW. You'll be able to ask them mechanic-specific autogeek-level questions,and probably find out everything you wanna know, before you drop trow and drop cash.

Good luck.

~Jazz

Old 09-07-2013, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Recently purchased a '02 S6 Avant with 90k.

It runs well, the engine is strong and really pulls nicely above 3k. It's a multi stage intake which seems to broaden the torque curve from my limited research.

The transmissions can be weak behind the 4.2 though.

I love this car, it handles very well for a car that weighs 4k lb.

There are a few nice S6 Avants for sale here in CO. I just saw one for ~$12k with a rebuilt tranny on craigslist in Colorado Springs. Doesn't help much if you're in IL however.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM

I agreed what is said above!!!
The design of your car exposing your status. I have Audi A3. Anyhow, the A4 Auparavant is a 5door estate edition of the D-segment A4. It is a full-sized bigger than the A3 and is depending on Audi's own system, with a longitudinally installed engine.