Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help? buying a waverunner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 AM
2nd Gear
Default Help? buying a waverunner

hey we're looking into buying a waverunner and i don't know the first thing about boats. Anyways, we're looking for something used and are aiming to pay under $5000. What's my best bet? What should i set as my standards? How old can i go? How many hours should i set as my limit? How much hp should it have? etc. anything else i should know? Thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Help? buying a waverunner

well you can get a pretty decent one.. Im not too up to date lately on the newest crafts.. but i have 2 sea doos.. a 95 sea doo spi.. which is a 600cc about 85hp (i think....) and a 96 sea doo xp which is 800cc 110hp. I love the xp. I think it was one of the best made ones theyve had... Its smaller and more nimble than most.

However.. Its goign to depend on what preferences you have, and what your looking for. I wanted a more sporty one... Would you want a 3 seater or a 2 seater, more performance oriented or what. Also, what size of a lake are you going to be driving it on.. But for 5k, you should be able to get a good one only a year or 3 old...i think.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: sooks

well you can get a pretty decent one.. Im not too up to date lately on the newest crafts.. but i have 2 sea doos.. a 95 sea doo spi.. which is a 600cc about 85hp (i think....) and a 96 sea doo xp which is 800cc 110hp. I love the xp. I think it was one of the best made ones theyve had... Its smaller and more nimble than most.

However.. Its goign to depend on what preferences you have, and what your looking for. I wanted a more sporty one... Would you want a 3 seater or a 2 seater, more performance oriented or what. Also, what size of a lake are you going to be driving it on.. But for 5k, you should be able to get a good one only a year or 3 old...i think.
we'll be driving it in salt water probably, and of course i will take good care of it and give it a good detailed wash after every use. I'm an audi driver, so logically, i like sporty. A 2-seater would be best i think. So i should def. be looking upwards of 2001 and upwards of 100hp?

I found this, which is a 3 seater, but is comparible to what i can get. there's one just like this in my town for around $3,750. http://www.everyboat.com/c/s/2001-yamaha-xl800_2275.htm

and since i'm on audiforums.. my A4 can be fitted with a hitch right? I hope they're easy to put on and take off b/c i wouldnt want the hitch there all the time..

thanks for the help sooks

Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

oh! sry there's also this thought:

would it be worth bumping the price range to $6000, and buying a PAIR of slightly older (97-99ish?) waverunners? I think they're probably alot funner as a pair, no? Or is it better to stick with getting one newer one (2001-03), and just find out which other friends have waverunners

Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Site Moderator

haha...well obviously riding with someone is MUCH funner.. but its your choice on newer or a couple slightly older... I dont think yoru going to find drastic performance differences between the years..just that youre getting older goods.. My 96 xp does about 65 mph...and i cant imagine the new ones do much more than that.. However, upon research i see the new seadoo rxp has a 1500cc intercooled supercharged engine with 215 hp... Which seems redonculous to me, but they are considerably bigger bulikier and heavier. However, if youre running out in the ocean in salt water.. Id say it wouldnt be bad to go with a bigger type craft... You need that size to cut through the chop. The newer ones are leading more towards this type of craft.."musclecraft" But i wouldnt go with a 3 seater..they are boring to me.

That yamaha you sent was pretty nice...id either stick with yamaha or seadoo..they seem to be making good stuff.

Note: going off a 6-8 ft wave in the ocean at about 30-40mph is a bit terrifying..

Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

haha...well obviously riding with someone is MUCH funner.. but its your choice on newer or a couple slightly older... I dont think yoru going to find drastic performance differences between the years..just that youre getting older goods.. My 96 xp does about 65 mph...and i cant imagine the new ones do much more than that.. However, upon research i see the new seadoo rxp has a 1500cc intercooled supercharged engine with 215 hp... Which seems redonculous to me, but they are considerably bigger bulikier and heavier. However, if youre running out in the ocean in salt water.. Id say it wouldnt be bad to go with a bigger type craft... You need that size to cut through the chop. The newer ones are leading more towards this type of craft.."musclecraft" But i wouldnt go with a 3 seater..they are boring to me.

That yamaha you sent was pretty nice...id either stick with yamaha or seadoo..they seem to be making good stuff.

Note: going off a 6-8 ft wave in the ocean at about 30-40mph is a bit terrifying..
good note haha

Old 06-21-2006, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear

If you do go used, go with a Honda or Yamaha. Good performance, decent price, and bombproof reliability. Just throw them in the water and go. They don't take much looking after.

If you go new get the new SeaDoo RXP - 215HP and f-ing fast!!!

Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Site Moderator

i cant imagine how fast that is.. i mean that is more hp than a lot of cars.. I wonder how much more it weighs and what speed it actually hits.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 PM
3rd Gear

i cant imagine how fast that is.. i mean that is more hp than a lot of cars.. I wonder how much more it weighs and what speed it actually hits.
Dry weight - 740LBs
Top speed - 80-85mph

Old 06-21-2006, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74

Dry weight - 740LBs
Top speed - 80-85mph
that's pretty insane. We aren't going to go new though. thanks for the comments! It really looks like you can't go wrong with yamaha, and they're relatively easy to find (esp. here in FL) so there's a fair chance we'll end up with one of those.

Quick Reply: Help? buying a waverunner